Pin Tab & Other Tips.

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Frank Lion

Pin Tab & Other Tips.

Post by Frank Lion »

One of the few vaguely good ideas seen in Firefox is the pinned tab (look it up, if you don't know what it is). Here's a fake version of that for SeaMonkey - if you have yours set to 'Restore all tabs' then just have it as your first tab. If you have start with Homepage, then set it as your homepage.

Unlike Firefox, you can still close it by right clicking, which is pretty much the same idea as their right clicking and 'Unpin Tab' setting. I have close buttons on my tabs, like the rest of the known world since 2004, so this gets rid of that on the 'pinned' tab. As usual, this goes in userChrome.css below the namespace line -

Code: Select all

/*Franks Fake Pinned Tab for SeaMonkey...*/

tab[first-tab="true"] .tab-close-button, tab[first-tab="true"] .tab-text{
	display:none !important;
}
tab[first-tab="true"]{
	min-width: 0px !important;
	max-width: 10px !important;}

Last edited by Frank Lion on October 28th, 2021, 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LewS

Re: Pin Tab

Post by LewS »

Neat Frank, and so easy when someone else shows the way.

However, was there ever an answer which did not beget a question?

Have you a way to protect or lock the "pinned" tab to keep another
site from opening in it?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

LewS wrote:Have you a way to protect or lock the "pinned" tab to keep another
site from opening in it?
All my links, from whatever source, always open in new tabs so that one is not a problem for me, but in theory a link could overwrite this, i.e. it's not protected..

It's not really a pinned tab in the true sense, but it's always the first tab on the left, it is really small, it's hard to accidentally close and the effect persists across restarts...so it feels like a Firefox pinned tab, even if it isn't one.

Not ideal, but it'll do for me and it's better than a rarely used 250px wide tab just sitting there all the time.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LewS

Post by LewS »

Yes, I'm still using it for the reasons you say.
Better than it was, which is a rare thing.

My problem is that I've tried all the settings
I can find to make everything open in a new
tab but sometimes they still overwrite.

Not a new problem; I've lived with it since
whenever. Thanks.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Tiny snippet - the SM Email notifier on the components bar (bottom left on the statusbar) is RIGHT above my OS start menu 'orb'. Once in a while, in a hurry, I hit the orb when wanting to bring up the SM Emal client.

This moves the notifier along to the end of that bar -

/*Franks Move Mail Notifier...*/
#mini-mail {
-moz-box-ordinal-group: 2 !important;
} 
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Top Tip - If you use the sidebar for searching History and/or Bookmarks (F9 or toolbar button using SeaFox) then a small irritant with SM is that the sidebar searchbar doesn't get focus, i.e. you have to mouse click it and then type your search.

0% chance of that ever being fixed, despite repeated pleas in our Builds forum (well, I mentioned it once)

However...open sidebar - press F6 twice - you're done.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Here's another userChrome .css snippet.

Anyone remember zebra striping in the sidebar list or the list of mail messages? It's a look that's gone out of fashion these days (good) but I have to admit that it is quite a good accessibility feature, i.e. it helps the visually impaired see stuff better.

Anyway, someone asked me for this the other day so here it is. I've kept it as subtle as I can, but usable -

/* Franks Zebra trees....*/
treechildren::-moz-tree-row(odd) {
	background: linear-gradient(to bottom, rgba(0,0,0,0.15) 0%,rgba(0,0,0,0.1) 100%)!important;
}

Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Here's a tip for webmail users.

Some webmail servers can be accessed in the Email client and some cannot. Plus, some users just prefer to have them in a browser tab. Only problem is, even if you have tabs loading on start, you can often forget to actually login and so, miss messages. This, in userChrome.css, fixes that -

.tabbrowser-tab[label="Login | ProtonMail"] {
	background: #9292A5 !important;
}	
Obviously, that one is for Protonmail, but the idea works for all webmail stuff. Hover over the tab when you start up and copy exactly what it says and that's what you use above.

Once you login, you'll note, it will change to something like 'Inbox you@gmail.com' or whatever, but it's that non logged in state title that you need.

tl:dr? The tab changes colour if you are not actually logged in and acts as a reminder to do so.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Edge case .css for Sea Fox extension users this time.

This extension breaks in SM 2.53.1+ and the fix is grab the .xpi to go to skin/navigator.css and comment out lines 181 to 191 thus -

/******** SEARCH BOX ********/
.searchbar-textbox  {
  -moz-binding: url(chrome://seafox/content/navigator.xml#searchbar-textbox-clear) !important;
  min-height: 20px;
}
#searchbar  {
  -moz-binding: url(chrome://seafox/content/navigator.xml#searchbar-openintab) !important;
}
.searchbar-engine-button[addengines="true"] {
  background-color:#BDE0EB;
}
..and reinstall it and it then works fine again.
Last edited by Frank Lion on July 8th, 2020, 2:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

In SM 2.53.1, there's a new type of Library that has a new History feature called 'Forget about this site', which can have a really unwanted effect* -

https://support.mozilla.org/bm/questions/1059209

i.e. the wrong stray mouseclick and any/all passwords for a particular website, er, just vanish.

This 'Forget' feature can be hidden from the right click context menus to prevent this happening, just by pasting the following in userChrome.css, below the namespace line. -

/*Franks Hide Forget about this site entry....*/
#placesContext_deleteHost  {
	display: none !important;}   

* it's been in Firefox for quite a while, but I haven't used FF day-to-day for 6 years now and I messed up in SM with this feature.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Scrollbar on the left hand side -

#1. Type about:config in the addressbar and press Enter.

#2. Type side in Filter box. It'll show a single entry "layout.scrollbar.side" in the results window.

#3. Right-click entry and select "Modify". Now change its value to 3

#4. You're done.

Why? - because some of us are left-handed, that's why.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Frank,

Never bothered to use userchrome.css, (lazy I guess), so I just created one in my portable seamonkey profile sub-folder. Put your code in, but one question. as I just created that file, the only code in there is yours so you say to put it below namespace?

Not sure if there is a line of code I should put in the file at the top or not.

Thanks,
Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

The code (unless directed otherwise) goes below the namespace line.

Here's some general reading on this - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3037817

The only difference is that with Firefox you do, these days, have to create the chrome folder and its files, but with SM those are already done by default.

All the SM user has to do is to rename userChrome-example.css to userChrome.css, etc. and they're away.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Frank Lion wrote:The code (unless directed otherwise) goes below the namespace line.

Here's some general reading on this - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3037817

The only difference is that with Firefox you do, these days, have to create the chrome folder and its files, but with SM those are already done by default.

All the SM user has to do is to rename userChrome-example.css to userChrome.css, etc. and they're away.
Frank,

Aaahh... should have figured that one out myself. Will do so now.

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Here's a simple code snippet for bookmarks on the toolbars that have no icon/favicon, especially all bookmarklets.
Code goes below namespace line. -

/*Franks Bookmarklet Image...*/

.bookmark-item[label="zap images"] image {
  width: 0 !important;
  height: 0 !important;
  padding: 0 0 16px 16px !important;
  background: url("webapps-16.png") !important; 
  filter: url("filters.svg#matrix-gc")!important;}
Note : this code is not really for novice users.

Change label to that shown by tooltip. Your 16x16 image goes in the chrome folder and if you want to change the colour of it (the above code is green) then go here - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p12214055