Extension chaos

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Zosimos

Extension chaos

Post by Zosimos »

Things are looking grim for Seamonkey in the world of browser extensions. Noscript is not updated for Seamonkey anymore, only the new version for Firefox and its new engine. All of the anti-tracking extensions like Ghostery and Privacy badger are incompatible with Seamonkey. At least we still have ad-blocking, but I wonder if that rug might be pulled out from under us soon. Is there any effort to adapt or create new extensions to meet these important security needs in Seamonkey?
Frank Lion

Re: Extension chaos

Post by Frank Lion »

You are concerned about tracking? Are you actually using Firefox 62, as your UA string here suggests?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
frg

Post by frg »

Web extension support is planned for 2.57. If this will not work out .57 will not be released.

I am still using NoScript 5 and uBlock. I don't expect them to magically quit working soon.

As for the other extensions I don't bother. Some I don't trust and only Mozilla probably thinks that tracking can be avoided. Smells too much like snake oil.

If any of the sh*tty companies that track users think they are sitting on a pot full of gold userdata let them. I don't see online ads don't care about recommendations and so on.

I am quite sure thzese are the good guys:
https://blog.mozilla.org/press/2018/08/ ... t-advance/

f.. them

FRG
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I am still using Disconnect 3.15.3.1 and it still works. It blocks tracking. I also have several subscriptions in uBlock Origin, some entries in which will block tracking.
Zosimos

Post by Zosimos »

I haven't posted my UA string, so I don't know where you would get it. I am using Seamonkey 2.49.3, the latest as of this posting. But it is often necessary to use a modified UA string to get some sites to allow you to use the browser you want.

The last version of Noscript before the change to support Firefox Quantum still works, but the internet is constantly changing and there will surely be problems that need fixes even if there are no major inherent bugs. Ghostery used to work with Seamonkey, but has also been changed. Privacy Badger never worked with Seamonkey. Disconnect looks interesting. I will have to check that out though it also seems to have been changed to stay compatible with Firefox Quantum. Seamonkey is not moving to the Quantum engines, is it? So, it looks like it is time to start searching for alternatives, even if that means switching to a different browser that is compatible with those other extensions.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Um, your UA string, as reported to the server by your browser, appears at the bottom of each of your posts on these forums.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Zosimos wrote: Is there any effort to adapt or create new extensions to meet these important security needs in Seamonkey?
Why are you asking this if only a few weeks back you were stating, in a Tweet style, that SeaMonkey 'looks like the whole project will simply shut down soon. Sad.' ? - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14804137

If that's the case, what difference would it make what 'effort to adapt or create new extensions to meet these important security needs in Seamonkey' was happening?

I'm not understanding the logic here.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Crogon

Post by Crogon »

I hacked together a full set of working add-ons for SeaMonkey (I'm currently on Win7 64 bit and WinXP, the Linux partition is coming shortly).. but I'm still working on something resembling a Sync function, or at least import and export.

Anyway.. If someone wants to throw me a link to an open FTP server, I'd be happy to upload the entire lot of hacked add-ons for the community to use. :)

..when I say hacked, mostly they are just simple hacks to allow installing in current SeaMonkey, or simple cosmetic hacks to actually display the appropriate screens and etc. ;)
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Crogon

Post by Crogon »

Forgot to say thank you Frank, so thanks!! I posted like four things on that thread, but nobody answered yet. :/ I'm having fun figuring out if I can get a few more of my favorite extensions up and running. :D
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Crogon wrote:Forgot to say thank you Frank, so thanks!!
No problem.

You'll need this one as well - https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/se ... src=search