Google search field and cursor do not line up.

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Stereodoc

Google search field and cursor do not line up.

Post by Stereodoc »

The other day when reading Google News, I clicked on a link in the page for additional news. Doing so temporarily locked up my PC, maybe 5 or so seconds similar to a java script running slow issue. SM recovered and all was well afterward or so I thought.

Came back to Google and noticed my cursor was up above the search field. Also noticed that any auto completed search terms are no longer laid out vertically but horizontally and truncated with some.

Not sure how to fix this. Tried a reload of 2.49.4 but no change. Also did a system restore with no change.

Also, seems to be connected to 2 out of 4 profiles.

Everything seems OK with DuckDuckGo.

any suggestions?

Should I strip SM from the system completely and reinstall?
DanRaisch

Re: Google search field and cursor do not line up.

Post by DanRaisch »

Should I strip SM from the system completely and reinstall?
Uninstalling and reinstalling the application itself has absolutely no impact on your Profile, which is where saved data such like cache is stored and where most problems originate.
Try menu path Tools->Clear private data->uncheck everything except CACHE and click on the "Clear private data now" button.
therube

Post by therube »

(That sort of behavior has been noted before. But don't recall just what browser[s] it may have applied to or how it resolved itself. Could even be something as simple as a cookie?)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

Very interesting. Clearing the cookies took care of it. Why though? Why would a "bad" cookie do that?

Thanks.
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

nope. spoke to soon. problem disappeared but is now back and won't clear doing the same thing.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Did you also clear the cache?
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

yes, did both cookies and cache.

In my original post I mentioned that I went to Google News and that's when this problem appeared. Seems that may have been coincidental.

I fired up a PC I rarely use which has the latest and same version of SM as above and it too exhibits this same anomaly. The last time it was used, it did not have this issue. I didn't do anything other than open SM to google and the cursor and search box do not line up as well.

Firefox and IE seem OK.
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

I found this about modifying about:config but it didn't help. Not sure if I did it correctly.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3040658
therube

Post by therube »

That should be working.
The instructions here, http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14804588.
For the value, step 6), simply removing "SeaMonkey/2.49.4" (or similar) from the UA should be sufficient.

So:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/52.0
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

therube,
Turns out I was modifying about:config incorrectly. I had some time to fiddle with it this morning and now everything is working as it should. Thanks for the help to you and TPR75.