Seamonkey NOT affected by the Firefox extension disaster??

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
videobruce

Re: Seamonkey NOT affected by the Firefox extension disaster

Post by videobruce »

How/where did Netscape fit in here? When I realized what a POS Idiot Exploiter was/is (same for for Winblows), I switched to Netscape. Then I discovered Opera which I stuck with until a year or two ago, forced to switched due to excessive JS usage in way too many lame websites. :roll:
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

videobruce wrote:How/where did Netscape fit in here? When I realized what a POS Idiot Exploiter was/is (same for for Winblows), I switched to Netscape. Then I discovered Opera which I stuck with until a year or two ago, forced to switched due to excessive JS usage in way too many lame websites. :roll:
Mozilla was created by Netscape, to harness the power of open-source to develop Netscape 6.
Essentially, the world would create Mozilla the program(later renamed Mozilla Application Suite), and Netscape would tweak it to create Netscape 6 and later, until Netscape eventually ceased to exist.

Firefox began as a fork of Mozilla the program. Then it became the Mozilla Foundation's primary focus. Eventually, Mozilla Foundation cancelled development of the program they took their name from. And the community picked it up and continued it under the name Seamonkey.

Arguably, Seamonkey is a fork of Mozilla, but it is more of a chopstick than a fork(because it continues in a straight line, see? I think I'm clever.).

In fairness, Netscape 4 wasn't exactly a bastion of standards compliance and quality code itself. There are several reasons Internet Explorer gained traction in the first place, and only some of them were Microsoft tactics.
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

maybe it is time for moderators to lock this thread since the disabled Firefox addons disaster only affected Firefox and not Seamonkey & Palemoon
videobruce

Post by videobruce »

By you responding, that bumps it to the top again.
Browsers that don't have a conventional horizontal Menu bar (where it's been for 25 years) are poorly designed. Period. Stop 'fixing' something that isn't broke!
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

As this appears to have "run it's course",
it's getting locked.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)