How do I turn off "private mode" in SM?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
jeffw_00

How do I turn off "private mode" in SM?

Post by jeffw_00 »

Hi - So a number of newspaper sites (New York Times, Washington Post, etc), won't let me look at articles because I'm in "private mode". (Clearing cookies, etc. doesn't help). They provide instructions for fixing it for IE, Firefox, etc., but obviously not SeaMonkey. I can't seem to find the magic checkbox to uncheck to address this - can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
/j
Frank Lion

Re: How do I turn off "private mode" in SM?

Post by Frank Lion »

jeffw_00 wrote:I can't seem to find the magic checkbox to uncheck to address this - can someone point me in the right direction?
j
File>New>Private Window. Hotkey is, same as Firefox, Ctrl + Shift + P

But, it will not be that, it'll be you blocking their cookies or something. Both sites are OK for me and I have 'Allow for Session' as the cookie default there.

You can check/change yours for a site by right clicking the webpage > Page Info > Permissions.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
jeffw_00

Post by jeffw_00 »

thanks!
hardys

Post by hardys »

If this doesn't work you can have a look here: http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=3051494
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

hardys wrote:If this doesn't work you can have a look here:
The New York Times one works fine, for me, without overrides. i.e. no messages appear. The WP one is mainly OK, but I get it sometimes on page links.

I don't go to the WP site that often, so I'd just toggle my JavaScript toolbar button to get rid of that Private Browsing stuff if it appears. More frequent users may prefer the override route there.

I have no overrides set on either site, by default.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
therube

Post by therube »

You’re in private mode.

Log in or create a free New York Times account to continue reading in private mode.
Ready to subscribe?
See our offers.
Odd? Wonder why they do that?
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

therube wrote:Odd? Wonder why they do that?
Why not test the site with site specific overrides for other people? Has to be better than just doing a 'Me too!!' post here?

I suggest Firefox, Chrome, Trident in that order. I can't do them as the site shows fine for me.
therube

Post by therube »

Don't know that it has anything to do with useragent.
It does have to do with Private Browsing.

Does not seem to appear on the main NYT web page, but after you open a particular article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/03/us/e ... oting.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/04/us/d ... oting.html

Pages display fully - when not in Private Mode.

(Also you cannot be blocking scripts on www.nytimes.com to see this.)
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

therube wrote:It does have to do with Private Browsing....
Pages display fully - when not in Private Mode.
Yep, I think people could work out for themselves that if they were actually in Private Browsing mode that a website might also tell them that they were.

Seeing as you cannot really accidentally be in a Private Browser window, your self-evident posts are doing more to confuse people, rather than helping them here.
therube

Post by therube »

Well, it is not self-evident, at least to me, until you test it & see.

FF can be set to run in Private Browsing Mode - all the time.
Don't recall if SeaMonkey has that ability?