Lightweight themes (personas) gone from thunderbird.net

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
LuvKomputrs

Re: Lightweight themes (personas) gone from thunderbird.net

Post by LuvKomputrs »

And in about:config you should see this. :)
https://ibb.co/WKSKyg2
gracious1

Post by gracious1 »

LuvKomputrs wrote:Just figured it out! :D
Here are the steps.
1. Go to %appdata% navigate to SeaMonkey and then to your profile folder and place your copied lwtheme folder by pasting into *.default (a different one from your other * default profile where you copied if from) (it begins with a numeric sequence)(this is done for a brand new profile that you are creating)
An example:
%appdata%\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\
lwtheme folder is located in a folder that has a name in it like this
9dzurqvb.default
*Note: only add these files to a brand new profile. Existing profiles already have them if you have added a lightweighttheme*
Hi, thanks for all this so far! However, you didn't give the parent directories to %appdata% so I had to guess. There wasn't anything called "%appdata% but I did find "AppData" in two places. First here:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\<my name>\AppData\Local\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\

But then I also found one here:

C:\Users\<my name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\
Both of these directories appear to have copies of my profiles (e.g. 9dzurqvb.default). Which one do I use? Are they both wrong, because your path has no intervening "Local" or "Roaming" directories, like so:

What would the full path to this be?

EDIT: When I do

about:profiles
I get the same thing. Two directories.
I don't know which to use because in Linux this never happened; only one path would appear. :-k
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Here are the steps.
Hmm :-k

Perhaps you and other people would find it easier just to use the Wayback Machine?

Here's the Firefox's AMO site as it was in 2015 - https://web.archive.org/web/20151205084 ... s/abstract

The search and some of the links will not work, but there are thousands of Personas there and they will install into SeaMonkey just by clicking on them.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Frank Lion wrote:
Here are the steps.

Perhaps you and other people would find it easier just to use the Wayback Machine?

Here's the Firefox's AMO site as it was in 2015 - https://web.archive.org/web/20151205084 ... s/abstract

The search and some of the links will not work, but there are thousands of Personas there and they will install into SeaMonkey just by clicking on them.
Frank, Thanks very much for the information. :)
I've got the Wayback Machine bookmarked on my home computer and other computers at work. I use it quite a bit. :wink:
Good to know there's that link still available for the Personas.
However, there was a link for a site that I had been using and then it was archived at the Wayback Machine and is no longer accessible.
This is why I tried out the about:config method written in my post just in case. :wink:
Perhaps that site for the Personas with the links that work be made accessible through the SeaMonkey Add-ons and be maintained. :-k
Thanks again! :D
Last edited by LuvKomputrs on August 8th, 2019, 4:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

gracious1 wrote:
Here are the steps.
1. Go to %appdata% navigate to SeaMonkey and then to your profile folder and place your copied lwtheme folder by pasting into *.default (a different one from your other * default profile where you copied if from) (it begins with a numeric sequence)(this is done for a brand new profile that you are creating)
An example:
lwtheme folder is located in a folder that has a name in it like this
9dzurqvb.default
*Note: only add these files to a brand new profile. Existing profiles already have them if you have added a lightweighttheme*
Hi, thanks for all this so far! However, you didn't give the parent directories to %appdata% so I had to guess. There wasn't anything called "%appdata% but I did find "AppData" in two places. First here:

C:\Users\<my name>\AppData\Local\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\

But then I also found one here:

C:\Users\<my name>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\
Both of these directories appear to have copies of my profiles (e.g. 9dzurqvb.default). Which one do I use? Are they both wrong, because your path has no intervening "Local" or "Roaming" directories, like so:

What would the full path to this be?

EDIT: When I do

about:profiles
I get the same thing. Two directories.
I don't know which to use because in Linux this never happened; only one path would appear. :-k
%appdata% is part of the command to get to a profile directly i.e. %appdata%\Mozilla\SeaMonkey\Profiles\ That command brings you directly to <<AppData > Roaming > Mozilla > SeaMonkey > Profiles >
In Linux OS and MAC OS it's somewhat different to access your Profile.
Have you given a specific name to your profiles? That should help.
i.e.gracious1 and gracious2 for instance.
Also, switch in between profiles without defaulting to a specific profile each time you use SeaMonkey.
Uncheck the box where it says default to this profile for available profiles for SeaMonkey.
I switch between profiles by giving them each a specific name.
Also, check out this link http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder_-_SeaMonkey
Also, Frank has given us very helpful information to a direct link for access to Personas(lightweightthemes) for use. :)
Hopefully that link will stay at the Wayback Machine for a while or it could be hosted for the SeaMonkey browser and made accessible through Add-ons.
https://web.archive.org/web/20151205084 ... s/abstract
Hopes this clears things up for you. :)
LuvKomputrs

Post by LuvKomputrs »

Am test driving some Personas (lightweightthemes) (in a separate profile that I created from the ones that I regularly use) from
https://web.archive.org/web/20151205084 ... s/abstract
Particularly like these Personas from the links here:
https://web.archive.org/web/20151205063 ... mes/nature
https://web.archive.org/web/20151205045 ... es/scenery
There's quite a few that you can add right-away for use with SeaMonkey. Am very, very pleased about that. :D This is fun! :wink:
Some you can still see, but, cannot add them. Am thinking that some of these have been already converted to the new WebExtensions format for Firefox. :-k
There's still loads to choose from. :)
The one that I have created has been converted, but, I still have the lwtheme folder and file information when I first created it and submitted it as a Persona. This one I still have to add manually to another profile in SeaMonkey in about:config.
It's great that those links were archived and are still accessible at the Wayback Machine.
Again, Many Thanks to Frank for the helpful information. :)
Am thinking that the link(s) should be added to Add-ons for SeaMonkey for SeaMonkey users to have ready access to those themes. :-k
LordOfTheBored

Post by LordOfTheBored »

I admit to being pleasantly surprised that Wayback archived so many of those. Most of the time when I'm digging for something it turns out that they archived the download page, but the actual download was lost.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Before I forget......it's pretty easy to use a Persona with a 3rd Party Theme, just a few lines of .css.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Frank Lion wrote:
Here are the steps.

Frank,

Never a fan of Personas, but have found that some themes work well with 2.53 and others do not. Default works fine, although not my favorite (Early Blue which no longer works properly WHINE is my all time favorite precisely because it was the early choice for M4 Mozilla Suite but lost out to the official release) and my current theme is yours (Metal Lion). Overall, 2.53 works much better than 2.49, so is a good upgrade.

Thanks

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

gracious1 wrote:
I have several profiles with the personas installed, but I do not have the technical know-how to extract them from my cache to make them installable in other profiles.

If you download the Thunderbird versions (the XPI archives), is it possible to write an install.rdf or some other appropriate file that would replace the JSON file to make these work? Does anyone have the know-how to do this?
How are personas installed? Do they go into Extensions within the profile like the full themes? I have extracted .xpi files for full themes from the profile and re-used them, but I have never used personas.