URGENT: update for FireFox needed now!?! What abouty SM?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Peter Creasey

URGENT: update for FireFox needed now!?! What abouty SM?

Post by Peter Creasey »

What is the implication of this for SeaMonkey?
Mozilla Patches Critical Vulnerability

The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) encourages users and administrators to review the Mozilla Security Advisories for Firefox 72.0.1 and Firefox ESR 68.4.1 and Thunderbird 68.4.1 and apply the necessary updates.
https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/current-ac ... nerability
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
frg

Re: URGENT: update for FireFox needed now!?! What abouty SM?

Post by frg »

Fix is in the unofficial 2.53.2 since 2 days and will be in the final 2.53.1 too.

I suggest you use NoScript 5.1.9 if you are concerned. I do. In the wild you find these type of nasties usually on bad obscure websites or in ads served by compromised ad servers.

FRG
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Thanks, I figured you had everything covered in good fashion.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

frg wrote:
Peter Creasey wrote:What is the implication of this for SeaMonkey?
Mozilla Patches Critical Vulnerability

The Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) encourages users and administrators to review the Mozilla Security Advisories for Firefox 72.0.1 and Firefox ESR 68.4.1 and Thunderbird 68.4.1 and apply the necessary updates.
https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/current-ac ... nerability
Fix is in the unofficial 2.53.2 since 2 days and will be in the final 2.53.1 too.

I suggest you use NoScript 5.1.9 if you are concerned. I do. In the wild you find these type of nasties usually on bad obscure websites or in ads served by compromised ad servers.
  • Image From your response, I gather that you are NOT going to patch SeaMonkey 2.49.5 with any new updates, to fix this critical issue, right ... ???
    Which according to numerous sources, that is actively being exploited ... Image

You seem NOT to care about the security of SeaMonkey 2.49.5 users. As the only valid solution you recommend to use the NoScript extension. [-(

How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
therube

Post by therube »

I gather that you are NOT going to patch SeaMonkey 2.49.5 with any new updates, to fix this critical issue, right ... ???
Correct.
https://freenode.logbot.info/seamonkey/20200113
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

therube wrote:
I gather that you are NOT going to patch SeaMonkey 2.49.5 with any new updates, to fix this critical issue, right ... ???
Correct.
https://freenode.logbot.info/seamonkey/20200113

.... Never underestimate human stupidity (Pittacus Lore) Image

Last edited by ElTxolo on January 14th, 2020, 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
frg

Post by frg »

> .... Never underestimate human stupidity (Pittacus Lore)

Yours or mine? I really know that we need to get releases out faster but i can also wish for the moon. By the time we do 2.49.6 we would have 2.53.1 anyway. We are around 4 to 5 core people and as long as this does not change it will go nowhere. We did make tremedous progress in the last months rebuilding the infrastructure but we are not yet at releases. The 2.53.1 beta is done for 14 days now and still not up.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

frg wrote:.... I really know that we need to get releases out faster but i can also wish for the moon. By the time we do 2.49.6 we would have 2.53.1 anyway. We are around 4 to 5 core people and as long as this does not change it will go nowhere. We did make tremedous progress in the last months rebuilding the infrastructure but we are not yet at releases. The 2.53.1 beta is done for 14 days now and still not up.
  • Image Let's see, dude. You still don't seem to get it.

I have NOT criticized, the work you do at SeaMonkey at all. In fact, I have always been one of the first, to personally congratulate you several times.

What I do criticize and totally disagree with, is that you do NOT anything about the serious/critical security issues in SeaMonkey 2.49.5.
    Except recommend users to use a shitty extension to mitigate the security problem.

Firefox, Firefox ESR, Thunderbird, Pale Moon, Basilisk, Waterfox ... etc, have released almost immediate security updates, to fix this issue.
    But at SeaMonkey NOTHING has been done. ](*,)
    And with this last one, it's what I do NOT agree with. Do you get it now or what? Image

~
therube

Post by therube »

Waterfox
I'd been wondering about that. Glad to see that he's go it.
(Reddit sucks. So I tend to not follow or use WF because of that.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
frg

Post by frg »

It is a free world. No one is forced to use SeaMonkey. Use whatever you want to use but if you do not contribute with code or helping to actually get releases out don't tell me what to do. It is a community project and the remaining devs do it all in their spare time. And I say I miss broader support from the community. Usually the same people helping out and ausually the same people demanding the moon.

Please close. This discussion goes nowhere and I get more angry by the minute.

FRG
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ElTxolo wrote:What I do criticize and totally disagree with, is that you do NOT anything about the serious/critical security issues in SeaMonkey 2.49.5.
It's a fair point. If they are going to fix anything then fixing what 98% of the userbase are using does make the most sense.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

frg wrote: It is a community project and the remaining devs do it all in their spare time.
It is unfortunate that more of us are not in a position and/or qualified to be helpful with development.

Please know that the vast majority of us appreciate all that you do and how you do it. And please continue same.

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Frank Lion wrote:
ElTxolo wrote:What I do criticize and totally disagree with, is that you do NOT anything about the serious/critical security issues in SeaMonkey 2.49.5.
It's a fair point. If they are going to fix anything then fixing what 98% of the userbase are using does make the most sense.
Frank,

Well, as we have 4 to 5 developers now, all working in their spare time, the timing of this bug is unfortunate as SM 2.53.xx is almost a reality. SM 2.49.xx is yesterday's browser and to my mind it makes sense to allocate sparse resources to bug fix the new SM, not the old. Just sayin'

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
frg

Post by frg »

Thanks Nick. It is better to have a few hundered new sec patches than 1. It is not that I like the current situation.

As always: tanstaafl.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

ndebord wrote:... the timing of this bug is unfortunate as SM 2.53.xx is almost a reality.
Well, this is no ordinary bug, but an actively exploited critical security issue. Plus, in my opinion, 2.53 may be almost a reality but it's also not yet ready for prime time at the moment.

There will come a time in SeaMonkey's future when security issues just cannot be fixed, but we're not at that point yet. Therefore a 'Let them eat cake' attitude to users of the existing official version of SeaMonkey is far from ideal.

Users of software have the right to bring up issues of things that concern them. It is the heat of the particular kitchen we have chosen to work in.

The answer to users (especially ones regarding a critical security issue!) is never '
Please close. This discussion goes nowhere and I get more angry by the minute.', as above.

Even I never talk to users like that. :)
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)