Using profile from x86 to 64 bits, it is possible?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
User22

Using profile from x86 to 64 bits, it is possible?

Post by User22 »

Hi guys, i been reading the faqs trying to find the answer to my question on moving from SeaMonkey x86 (2.49.5) to 2.53.1 beta 64 bits, keeping the same profile that i am using till now , but i could'n see any info about it... any clue please?

Thanks in advance
TPR75

Re: Using profile from x86 to 64 bits, it is possible?

Post by TPR75 »

User22 wrote:Hi guys, i been reading the faqs trying to find the answer to my question on moving from SeaMonkey x86 (2.49.5) to 2.53.1 beta 64 bits, keeping the same profile that i am using till now , but i could'n see any info about it... any clue please?
It doesn't matter for SeaMonkey profile if you use x86 or x64 as long as you uninstall one and you'll use one version only. Typical migration path is: was x86, uninstall x86 (profile will stay), restart (Windows), install x64, use x64.

Update is more demanding because after update to 2.53.x you can't simply switch to old 2.49x - some files in your profile will be changed/replaced. If you want to test "Beta 1" (it's not final, remember this!) than make backup of your SeaMonkey profile(-s) before updating. Actually every user should make regular backups and always make them before update.
--
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

TPR75 wrote:...Actually every user should make regular backups and always make them before update.
'How to' is here - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14832589
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
User22

Post by User22 »

Thanks guys.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

TPR75 wrote:It doesn't matter for SeaMonkey profile if you use x86 or x64 as long as you uninstall one and you'll use one version only. Typical migration path is: was x86, uninstall x86 (profile will stay), restart (Windows), install x64, use x64.
I have always gone to SeaMonkey Project and simply downloaded and installed as per...
Download Now
SeaMonkey 2.49.5
Platform: Windows x86
Language: English (US)
Is this still okay with the 2.53.x series and beyond?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
kerft

Post by kerft »

First, do you want 32-bit or 64-bit? They are similar, but if you use a lot of heavy sites and sometimes get crashes, you may want 64-bit.
Second, 2.53.x is not a final official release yet. Some things may be better but you might see a bug.
If you want 32-bit, you can probably BACKUP PROFILE, download 32-bit installer, and run it, and go on with life. This would never have been the best process though. Best always would have been download, uninstall old, run new installer.
If you want 64-bit, you should be successful with BACKUP PROFILE, download 64-bit, uninstall old, run new installer. However, file associations (other programs that launch the email or browser part of Seamonkey) may also need to be reset.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

kerft wrote:do you want 32-bit or 64-bit?
I'm not sure what I have now...I believe it is 32-bit. I just want to go to SeaMonkey Project and download the default offering (like I always blindly have) and have it be the same configuration as what I've always downloaded and installed before. If the default offering was 32-bit before, will it still be 32-bit like before (or if it has been 64-bit, will it still be the same 64-bit configuration as before)?

In other words, I hope to not have to worry about getting crossed up by the default offering being a different configuration.

Thanks for responding.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
mightyglydd

Post by mightyglydd »

Hmm, I seem to recall only the 32bit, 2.49.5 which I have, supports Plugins like Java/Silverlight/Sumatra ??
#KeepFightingMichael and Alex.