don't switch when search from context menu

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Justinh

don't switch when search from context menu

Post by Justinh »

I was using SM 2.49 x86, where I could select some text on a page -> RMB -> Search and a new tab would open for the search but SM would not switch to that tab. I set that option years ago and it has worked nicely.

I just installed 2.53 x64 (using the same SM profile) and now when I search SM switches to the new tab. I can't find the option to toggle this off. Where is it?
Vexille

Re: don't switch when search from context menu

Post by Vexille »

This is the value that controls this:

Code: Select all

browser.search.context.loadInBackground
In Firefox turning it to true works, but not in the Seamonkey.
It's probably a bug.
Last edited by Vexille on March 11th, 2020, 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Justinh wrote:I was using SM 2.49 x86, where I could select some text on a page -> RMB -> Search and a new tab would open for the search but SM would not switch to that tab. I set that option years ago and it has worked nicely.

I just installed 2.53 x64 (using the same SM profile) and now when I search SM switches to the new tab. I can't find the option to toggle this off. Where is it?
It's not about search, it's about opening new tabs in front instead of background. To change it type "about:config" in address bar and then search for:

browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground
... and switch it to "true" (e.g. by double clicking LMB). Not default settings are marked with bold font.

Another setting:

browser.tabs.loadInBackground
... by default should be set to "true".

Above will help for single new tab but when user will open group (folder) of bookmarks then SeaMonkey 2.53.1 will automatically switch to first bookmark from such group (folder). I hope it can be changed next release.
--
Vexille

Post by Vexille »

I have all this background things switch to true, but still searching from context menu switches focus to search result tab.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Vexille wrote:I have all this background things switch to true, but still searching from context menu switches focus to search result tab.
True. So... we must wait for devs to change it by adding new preference - who wants old behavior will be able to change it. I hope so...
--
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

The Context Search extension, which can search with any of your search engines, opens its results in the background.

It needs to go through the Convertor to work with SM, and then works very well.

https://github.com/benbasson/contextsearch
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

Thanks. Yep, looks like a bug, as browser.tabs.loadInBackground is not honored now.

Fx's preference name certainly is more user-friendly. Either browser should have a switch in Preferences.