SM doesn't understand internal links

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Justinh

SM doesn't understand internal links

Post by Justinh »

Why doesn't SM understand internal links on a page? When clicked, nothing happens.
Go to https://github.com/Devolutions/WaykDen-ps#initial-setup - observe you are at the top of the page, not at the 'initial setup' section of the page.

Is there some setting that nullifies this basic web page functionality?
DanRaisch

Re: SM doesn't understand internal links

Post by DanRaisch »

I see the same result in SeaMonkey. Oddly, in Firefox that link does take me to the Initial Setup section of the page, not the top.
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

As I described, clicking a section link on that page doesn't do anything. Even if I browse to the link in my post I'm not at the section but at the top of the page.
So, what could be different between your SM and my SM that would prevent an internal link from working?
Last edited by Justinh on October 19th, 2020, 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Well, I did say that in SeaMonkey I got the same result you did. I have SeaMonkey installed here as well as Firefox and had your post open in Firefox, thus the reply came with that UA.
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

DanRaisch wrote:Well, I did say that in SeaMonkey I got the same result you did. I have SeaMonkey installed here as well as Firefox and had your post open in Firefox, thus the reply came with that UA.
I sit corrected ](*,)
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I have tested this on some of my own sites containing internal links, and these all seem to work fine in seamonkey 2.53.4 for me.

As best I can tell the internal links on the github site are broken. IE there seems to be no corresponding targets within the page in question.
therube

Post by therube »

In this case, that is going to be a situation specific to github [& SeaMonkey, & probably Pale Moon] (& possibly with other sites out there) & not a general (site/browser) issue.

A search (here) for github may turn up more?

Not sure if there are any updates in WG9s's latest builds to cover this or not?
(Doesn't.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
frg

Post by frg »

They now require web components and basically broke SM and Palemoon. Waterfox Classic too I suspect. Use a second browser and move to gitlab for personal repos. They don't support non mainstream browsers too but at least accept fixes and are not so fast breaking things deliberately.

I don't have timeline for supporting it. Complex issue.

FRG
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

Confirmed that GitHub does not use conventional bookmark/internal link HTML. It looks like the target is being accessed via some JavaScript. Why someone would think to make something so simple so complicated, I cannot understand.

Conventional HTML bookmarks do work.
frg

Post by frg »

For a possible interim solution using an add-on https://github.com/JustOff/github-wc-polyfill see:
https://freenode.logbot.info/seamonkey/ ... 2#c5554557

The rdf file needs to be altered in version 1.1.2 for it to install.

Seems this needed an addtional backport. The issue raised in comment 1 is fixed in tomorrows 2.53.6b1 pre together with the extension. Didn't try without it. Depending on feedback we will put the fix in the final 2.53.5 too. Too late for 2.53.5 beta 1.

FRG
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I downloaded 2.53.6B1 today, and it still does not work. I just noticed my build date is still yesterday, so maybe I have to wait one more day to see it.

Very interested, as one of my banking sites will not display account details in what appears to be the same way of linking.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I do not see this as fixed in the Oct 24th build.

Maybe I do need to install the extension, not quite sure how to alter the RDF file
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Extension installed succesfully

Latest version works directly in seamonkey without any editing of rdf file.

Fixes internal links in Github, but unfortunately does not fix the links in my Credit Union website. :cry:
therube

Post by therube »

(Note that there has been a recent tug-of-war between MS [github] & those that try to deal with it, with MS making changes & the dealers needing to adapt. Similarly JustOff made some changes specifically for SeaMonkey too, & between all of that, things could break at any time.)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Yup, works fine, and has been already noted, the install is now "trivial" - and GitHub is more useful again (for now). ;)

I am posting to mention the fact that had I not seen and read this thread, I wouldn't have even known there was a "solution" to this particular issue in the growing set of GitHub's ignoring of standards (or just rolling their own, as they probably prefer to see it).

I actually just assumed that not being able to see any details about the repo contents (like files' checkin comments and timestamps) had something to do with "privacy" or not being part of the project - so definitely an educational component here. ;)