New version of SM

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
spudgun

New version of SM

Post by spudgun »

I have been using Sea monkey for about 25 years now. Love it.

I installed version 2.53.5.1 when it came out and since then noticed that I would get a SM not responding error several times, much more frequent than the older version.

Went to install new version today and got a notice that my windows 7, X64 cannot be used with the newer version.

Bummer. Don''t want to and don't care for the Windows 10 version.

I know my computer is old but any work arounds???
DanRaisch

Re: New version of SM

Post by DanRaisch »

You should be able to run the most current version with that OS but what about hardware? Have you reviewed the minimum system requirements? https://www.seamonkey-project.org/doc/s ... quirements
spudgun

Post by spudgun »

I think the CPU I have in my computer may be the issue.

AMD Athion, II X4 630. Processor 2.80GHZ

Windows 7 home Premium

4 GB ram

500 gb disk

32 bit OS
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

Even on a modern, higher-end machine, SM 2.5x can be sluggish with performance issues. Just so you are aware...
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Even on a modern, higher-end machine, SM 2.5x can be sluggish with performance issues. Just so you are aware...
Not seeing that at all, so perhaps you are making too general a statement. Have you tried Safe Mode to rule out issues caused by previously installed extensions?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

spudgun wrote:Went to install new version today and got a notice that my windows 7, X64 cannot be used with the newer version.
spudgun wrote:Windows 7 home Premium....32 bit OS
Which is it, x64 or 32bit?

I'm using Win 7 x64 and I can use both the latest x64 or x86 (32 bit) SM versions on it.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

Justinh wrote:Even on a modern, higher-end machine, SM 2.5x can be sluggish with performance issues. Just so you are aware...
  • Image Please, do NOT make generalized statements. Because what you say, is simply NOT true.
    If you personally have problems using and configuring SeaMonkey, it does NOT mean that EVERYBODY has the same problems as you. #-o

I have already said this on several occasions. I use ONLY GNU/Linux (VoidLinux, ArchLinux openSUSE Tumbleweed, debian stable & debian testing ... etc)
    And I do NOT suffer from any of the problems you mention ... [-X

How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

ElTxolo wrote:I have already said this on several occasions. I use ONLY GNU/Linux (VoidLinux, ArchLinux openSUSE Tumbleweed, debian stable & debian testing ... etc)
So what does your Linux install have to do with my Windows install? I'm not the only one that has mentioned performance issues on the recent generation of public builds. But, if not everyone is seeing it, that's great!

I use ONLY Windows Pro x64 - ha! :lol:
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Well, I’m running SeaMonkey under Win 10 and...
DanRaisch wrote:Not seeing that at all, so perhaps you are making too general a statement. Have you tried Safe Mode to rule out issues caused by previously installed extensions?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Justinh wrote:So what does your Linux install have to do with my Windows install?
Pretty obviously, this non-OS specific stuff here -
Justinh wrote:Even on a modern, higher-end machine....
Now, is there the remotest chance of people here returning to the subject of this thread?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)