Fewer and Fewer Sites working in SM

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
4td8s

Re: Fewer and Fewer Sites working in SM

Post by 4td8s »

frg wrote:
And as a hint. Don't post "site not working" messages if you are using 2.49.5 and anything less that a halfway current 2.53.* version. 2.49 is outdated and it won't magically load sites needing later features.

FRG
what about with SM 2.57.x versions from wg9s?

sometime in mid-2022 or beyond, I'm permanently switching to SM 2.57.x whether they are incomplete or not (a few of these modern sites that don't work with 2.53 or older releases seem to partially work or mostly work with 2.57).
I'm not gonna stick with using 2.53.x releases forever and at some point I have to move on from 2.53.x
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

4td8s wrote:
frg wrote:
And as a hint. Don't post "site not working" messages if you are using 2.49.5 and anything less that a halfway current 2.53.* version. 2.49 is outdated and it won't magically load sites needing later features.

FRG
what about with SM 2.57.x versions from wg9s?

sometime in mid-2022 or beyond, I'm permanently switching to SM 2.57.x whether they are incomplete or not (a few of these modern sites that don't work with 2.53 or older releases seem to partially work or mostly work with 2.57).
I'm not gonna stick with using 2.53.x releases forever and at some point I have to move on from 2.53.x
4td8s

Agree completely. It would be good if someone could put together a site with extensions that work only with SM 2.57xxx, so we could prepare ourselves when some of the legacy XPIs fail (and, with luck, modify some of them to work with 2.57).

Just Sayin'

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

seems like the Realtek Semiconductor web site does not work properly in Seamonkey and produces "untrusted connection" warning message

that site does not do that with recent Firefox, Chrome, Edge and even Palemoon browsers and works correctly
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

4td8s wrote:seems like the Realtek Semiconductor web site does not work properly in Seamonkey and produces "untrusted connection" warning message
That site is working fine for me and produces no such message.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I get blocked with the "Untrusted" alert.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
trevoz

Post by trevoz »

4td8s wrote:seems like the Realtek Semiconductor web site does not work properly in Seamonkey and produces "untrusted connection" warning message
Works perfectly for me - no warning message. Maybe turn off Firefox spoofing.
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

I think the alert you are getting is the one that says "the site is untrusted, as its certificate was not issued by a trusted authority.

This is not the site blocking Seamonkey in any way.

If YOU trust the site, you can override seamonkey concerns by adding an exception for that site in the dialog. Then it works fine as far as I can tell.
Wish You Were Here

Post by Wish You Were Here »

I see the untrusted thing sometimes when the URL doesn't include the s -- http instead of https.

Sometimes you can add it manually, but the site may not be set up for that.
therube

Post by therube »

Shows untrusted on my end. (Works in FF.)
Might there be certificate discrepancies between SeaMonkey & FF?

If I add the certificate, the site works.
(Don't know if that is good or bad - that you can add?)
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
trevoz

Post by trevoz »

As noted above it works for me with no issue and this may be because FreeBSD updates the valid and blacklisted CA certificates from the Mozilla Project regularly (last update Aug 25, 2021). If you're still using Windows 7 as your agent string suggests, then that operating system became end of life and went out of support in January last year.
n0spam

Post by n0spam »

trevoz wrote:If you're still using Windows 7 as your agent string suggests, then that operating system became end of life and went out of support in January last year.
This has nothing to do with the OS because the browser uses its own certificate store instead of the system one. Just tested it on 2.53.9 with a brand new profile, and also got an untrusted/unknown issuer error.
Although, in my case it (not updating the cert store) might be caused by me blocking some mozilla domains on the DNS level. Still, has nothing to do with the OS.
frg

Post by frg »

And Windows 7 is still being updated till 2023 but you need a paid subscription or installing a hack to unlock the updates. The later might not be very legal in your country.
RDaneel

Post by RDaneel »

Just checked (if anyone still cares), and works fine - when I hover over the green-background padlock on the end of the [SM] status bar, it pops up a "Signed by TAIWAN-CA" tooltip.

Perhaps this CA has been recently added into the browser's store of "acceptable" CAs?
Wish You Were Here

BigLots.com stopped working for me a few weeks ago. Home page displays, but none of the menu options work after whatever changes they made to the layout. Don't know if it works in 2.53. Don't understand UA strings enough to try others. Works in Vivaldi, Brave, etc.
Wish You Were Here

Can anybody get Homedepot.com to load without error?