Fewer and Fewer Sites working in SM

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Peter Creasey

Re: Fewer and Fewer Sites working in SM

Post by Peter Creasey »

Frank Lion wrote:
iFix wrote:Interesting that ABC News no longer has embedded images?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/rural ... /100966340
Sure, Menu>View>Use Style>None ...finished.
Frank,

1) Is that a setting that when set works on all websites or just the one that's currently in play?

2) Should that setting be left set that way as a normal course of everyday business?

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

Frank Lion wrote:Due to the huge number of really good features on SeaMonkey, it really suits me and the vast array of websites I use. If it doesn't suit someone else, then maybe use M$ Edge Beta or something, because SM is what it is.
But SM *does* suit me--very, very well in fact, since its earliest days decades ago. That's why it's been my default and--until recently--ONLY browser. Now, with so many sites that historically worked fine with SM but no longer do, and I use them frequently, it's really getting bad. (BTW, although I'm sure it's possible, I wouldn't dirty my network with Edge or anything else from M$--it's a Linux network, hence no garbage. No bloatware, no viruses, no adware, no crashes, no constant rebooting, no spyware, no crap! And no crappy browsers.)

Please don't misinterpret my unhappiness with this situation as something it's not. I mean I *love* SM; I have supported it [financially] for many years; I've customized mine to the Nth degree; I've carried my mail with me for decades; I would be lost without it and a lot of its features. But it's getting really old having to switch to FF or Chrome or some other browser just to do something that I used to do effortlessly on SM.
NWKnight77

Post by NWKnight77 »

Is there a way for SeaMonkey developers to make the browser more reliable with modern websites without upgrading to modern Firefox and its total lack of features? I hate modern Firefox... but also feel like SeaMonkey is just falling further and further behind at this point. There's gotta be some way.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

NWKnight77 wrote:Is there a way for SeaMonkey developers to make the browser more reliable with modern websites[...]
Yes, it is. Just bring some new developers with proper skills who will work for free in their spare time. Really, it's not a joke nor sarcasm.
--
LinuxUserSince1991

This one just started recently, https://portal.adtpulse.com/myhome/access/signin.jsp (ADT). It has *always* warned me that I'm using an unsupported/outdated browser, but until now it always WORKED just fine. Not any more.

I can get logged in okay, and I can navigate (like to its various tabs for activity, history, etc.), but when I attempt to arm/disarm the alarm system, it just hangs indefinitely. If I move to a different page and then come back, the alarm status symbol is just as it was (green for disarmed, red for armed) when I logged in.

And...yep...it works just......like.......that on FF.
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:This one just started recently, https://portal.adtpulse.com/myhome/access/signin.jsp (ADT). It has *always* warned me that I'm using an unsupported/outdated browser, but until now it always WORKED just fine. Not any more.

I can get logged in okay, and I can navigate (like to its various tabs for activity, history, etc.), but when I attempt to arm/disarm the alarm system, it just hangs indefinitely. If I move to a different page and then come back, the alarm status symbol is just as it was (green for disarmed, red for armed) when I logged in.

as Frank Lion would say i would assume, Use something that works for you.
LinuxUserSince1991

Snake4 wrote:
LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:This one just started recently, https://portal.adtpulse.com/myhome/access/signin.jsp (ADT). It has *always* warned me that I'm using an unsupported/outdated browser, but until now it always WORKED just fine. Not any more.

I really don't know what's so hard to understand about this, but I don't WANT to use something else. SM *has* worked for me for DECADES, since its inception as Netscape Communicator. I DON'T WANT to switch to another browser. I support SM financially. I LOVE SM. Why use something else?

I'm not naive, nor am I an idiot. I've seen the writing on the wall for a long time now as far as SM's future....or lack thereof. I've accepted that at some point I'll have to switch, permanently, but it will be reluctantly and unhappily. I'd much rather have SM keep working.
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

LinuxUserSince1991, you very well captured my feelings and my thoughts. It is a sad crossroads to run into.

I wish I was able to help with development.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

SeaMonkey needs to continue its track record of excelling.
Last edited by Peter Creasey on June 23rd, 2022, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Snake4

Post by Snake4 »

LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:
Snake4 wrote:

I really don't know what's so hard to understand about this, but I don't WANT to use something else. SM *has* worked for me for DECADES, since its inception as Netscape Communicator. I DON'T WANT to switch to another browser. I support SM financially. I LOVE SM. Why use something else?

I'm not naive, nor am I an idiot. I've seen the writing on the wall for a long time now as far as SM's future....or lack thereof. I've accepted that at some point I'll have to switch, permanently, but it will be reluctantly and unhappily. I'd much rather have SM keep working.
all well an great that you financially support SM but they still dont have the required developers that they'd love to have working on the project. untill SM gets more developers, that time you have to switch might come quicker than you think.
LinuxUserSince1991

Justinh wrote:LinuxUserSince1991, you very well captured my feelings and my thoughts. It is a sad crossroads to run into.

I wish I was able to help with development.
Thanks. I knew I couldn't be alone.

I wish I could help, too. I was a programmer for many years--started on UNIX in 1985, doing both programming and system administration. Unfortunately, a brain tumor forced early retirement and now, 10+ years later, I'm so far out of the loop I really can't offer ANY help where programming is concerned. Besides, other than some very rudimentary web programming, that really wasn't my area or forte.

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad someone finally got what I'm saying. :)
LinuxUserSince1991

Peter Creasey wrote:SeaMonkey needs to continue its track record of excelling.
Exactly. When I use other browsers, I feel lost--and baffled. Like, WHY do so many people use this browser when it's so inferior compared to SM?! In my opinion, SM has always been elegantly programmed, worked better than other browsers, and its customization possibilities are pretty much endless. I'd be completely lost on a different [permanent] browser.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

SeaMonkey has so much going for it, it seems reasonable that some qualified entity should recognize the asset value and take on the task of making it more up-to-date.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
LinuxUserSince1991

Peter Creasey wrote:SeaMonkey has so much going for it, it seems reasonable that some qualified entity should recognize the asset value and take on the task of making it more up-to-date.
Absolutely. If I had the knowledge or experience I'd take it upon myself to locate and hire talented programmers to work on it. I feel the same way about SM vs other browsers as I do Linux vs other OSes. In other words, they're both so superior to their rivals, it doesn't make sense that more people don't use them. (Of course, Linux *is* the most-used operating system on earth when you factor in all of its variations, like Android, supercomputers, giant companies like Amazon and Google, etc. But its desktop share is still very low. Pity, too, because it's such a pleasure compared to that bloated garbage put out by M$.)

If anyone has any ideas on how to help recruit talented folks to work on SM, please chime in. I'll do whatever I can to help.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Wow, this last page seems to have gone off the topic of the thread!

I really don't see what the problem is with using another browser for any sites that seem not to work well with SeaMonkey. As mentioned in my last post on this thread, I only use Edge Beta (duh, it means use the default browser for your OS) twice a week. But with the Open With extension, you are looking at the same webpage in a different browser in 5 seconds and that includes right clicking the perp page, selecting 'Open with whatever' and the other browser opening - 5 seconds

Even if you had to use Edge Beta twelve times a day, that is one minute out of your day!

Now look at the posts on this page, I'm reckoning most took a lot more than a minute to write, wouldn't it just be easier to do the above and move on with your life, instead of fretting about this stuff?

If a website appears to not work with SM then try a new testing profile, try in another browser and then just report here, without all the assumptions and 'extra' comments. As seen on this thread, in some cases the problem can be sorted by doing something really simple.

Incidentally, being in love with SeaMonkey or donating (?) to SeaMonkey doesn't give people a free pass and 'Get Out of Jail Free' card here. It doesn't give them the right to badmouth SM with these constant 'Another website that doesn't work with Seamonkey!!!' or 'What browser to use if SeaMonkey fails?' posts - Why? Well, because it's clear that any new developers are going to come from new users and not existing ones and you ain't exactly making SM sounds that great and that may well put off new users. See? So, you are sorta shooting yourself in the foot acting like that.

Oh, and perhaps less of the 'I WANT this' and 'I do not WANT that' stuff? However justified it may seem at the time, this is how it reads to potential new users -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqZchOhUVUE
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)