Fewer and Fewer Sites working in SM

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
WaltP

Re: Fewer and Fewer Sites working in SM

Post by WaltP »

ElTxolo wrote: Well, I feel sorry for you.
Thank you. Feeling sorry for us really helps us fix the problem. But just because YOU don't see the problem doesn't mean others don't!
ElTxolo wrote: What would be really cool, is to read the previous messages, before spouting antics:
I did, and followed that advice you quoted to no avail. Now what? What's your next sage advice for people that have a problem you can't replicate. What would really be cool is for you to say nothing if you have nothing useful to say.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

• WaltP ..... You seem to have some reading problem too. Image
    Because, I was not quoting you (the quote was from TPR75).

So I don't know, wtf are responding to me.
    When, I have NOT had a single conversation with you, ever.

WaltP wrote:[....] I did, and followed that advice you quoted to no avail.
    If you had followed the instructions correctly, you would have no problem viewing YouTube (... like -Px-, Frank Lion or myself). :wink:

Image You should learn to read, and understand what the rest of us write (where you also have the solution to your problem):
    -Px- wrote:
    Frank Lion wrote: [...] As you can imagine, I did check in a new profile, before my last post here and it was OK. However, that was in 2.53.9, I find that in 2.53.9.1, bizarrely,
    you need to advertise only as Firefox (60) to get those links to work.
    Yep, with override to FF 60 YouTube is working fine again, thanks :)
    WaltP wrote:[...] Now what?
    Now, by being smart and arrogant, you are going to look for the solution by yourself .... Good luck !!! Image
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
WaltP

Post by WaltP »

ElTxolo wrote:
  • WaltP ..... You seem to have some reading problem too. Image
    Because, I was not quoting you (the quote was from TPR75).

So I don't know, wtf are responding to me.
    When, I have NOT had a single conversation with you, ever.
What??? I never said you quoted me. You quoted FLion claiming no one read his fix. Well, his "fix" didn't work!!!
So get off our backs! We have a problem, the solutions given so far
1) did not work for us (set to FF)
2) were not explicit enough to explain how to make a fix (something about an override).
ElTxolo wrote:
WaltP wrote:[....] I did, and followed that advice you quoted to no avail.
If you had followed the instructions correctly, you would have no problem viewing YouTube (... like -Px-, Frank Lion or myself). :wink:
Bull! There were no instructions. Just a statement to set something to FF 60. Well, the only thins I found was in preferences (the standard place, and SM 2.53.10 mentions nothing about FF 60, just generic FF.
ElTxolo wrote: Image You should learn to read, and understand what the rest of us write (where you also have the solution to your problem):
And you should learn to read with understanding.
ElTxolo wrote:
-Px- wrote:
Frank Lion wrote: [...] As you can imagine, I did check in a new profile, before my last post here and it was OK. However, that was in 2.53.9, I find that in 2.53.9.1, bizarrely,
you need to advertise only as Firefox (60) to get those links to work.
Yep, with override to FF 60 YouTube is working fine again, thanks :)
Telling us to set the "override to ff60" with no indication as to How is unhelpful, too. Then being arrogant enough to quote a partial fix with an admonishment to "learn to read" is arrogant as hell.

Thanks for nuthin', ElTx. Maybe FLion can actually lend us a hand with useful instructions.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Let's get things back to civil dialogue here before it becomes necessary to lock this thread.
-Px-

Post by -Px- »

WaltP wrote:Telling us to set the "override to ff60" with no indication as to How is unhelpful, too.
That is common knowledge, which was discussed in numerous topics here and there. Searching for it would take less time than writing those walls of text ;)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

WaltP wrote:Telling us to set the "override to ff60" with no indication as to How
Walt, just maybe this is what they are suggesting. Here is what I've been told is the best general override for SeaMonkey 32-bit...

Just put about:config in your address bar, right click any entry, and select New,String and put these entries in the two boxes...

general.useragent.override

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:78.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/78.0

I don't know what/where the FF60 is coming from.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
WaltP

Post by WaltP »

Thank you, Peter! Since I've never changed an override, I had no idea what I was looking for. Now that I have the information to get started, I now know what I'm doing.

The FF60 is from Frank Lion -- change the 78's to 60's in the string you quoted. For YouTube, 78 didn't work.

Thanks again, Peter.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

WaltP wrote:Thank you, Peter! Since I've never changed an override, I had no idea what I was looking for. Now that I have the information to get started, I now know what I'm doing.

The FF60 is from Frank Lion -- change the 78's to 60's in the string you quoted. For YouTube, 78 didn't work.
Problem is you need "double" override. One general with Fx78 and at least one specific for YT with Fx60.

Here are some hints how to do this:
1) general override
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14906090
2) site specific override:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14906527
but with this UA in your case

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
Something changed in YT and they're more crazy than usual.
--
Ellioz

Post by Ellioz »

Dear fellow SM users,

I also have problems with websites not loading on SM.

French websites since I mostly use them :

https://fr.shopping.rakuten.com/connect ... login&c=80

https://www.leboncoin.fr/

https://www.mcdonalds.fr/

On these three websites I have the same problem.

"We're checking you're not a robot. Click on this to access the website."

Nothing appears which I could click on.

"Why this check : 1. You're clicking at superhuman speed 2. Something prevents javascript from working 3. A robot is on the same IP adress as you".

On Waterfox at least I have something to click on. It's a puzzle piece I have to put at the right place.

Spoofing useragent couldn't solve this (only general.useragent.override). My SM is up to date.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

First 2 work OK for me.

The 3rd is 'Blocked' and is also showing as 'Blocked' in M$ Edge Beta as well. Probably because it's showing as down for everyone, at the moment - https://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/mcd ... ttps&www=1

You seem to be using a FF78 general override here in MozZ? General overrides are too heavy handed (apart from testing when using the Agent Switcher extension), which is why I only ever use site specific ones.

I get it, a general override seems like the 'magic bullet', but, in reality, it will keep coming back to bite you in unexpected ways. I would add, I only use 5 site specific overrides to cover the entire Internet, so it's hardly 'The Labours of Hercules' to do.

Try dropping your general override for a while and try the following to see if things improve for you - Menu>Edit>Preferences>Advanced>HTTP Networking>select 'identify as SeaMonkey'
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Schmackbolzen

Post by Schmackbolzen »

I have two examples which don't work correctly: Github and Gitlab. I just chose some arbitrary projects for demonstration. It does not matter which one you choose.

Gitlab: https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org - You don't see any subgroup / project in the list on the right.

Github: https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk - Clicking on master does not work correctly (It does not list all the branches). Also if you select commit history (https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/commits/master) clicking on the ... button for a commit does nothing.

I tested this with two profiles and also disabled ublock origin.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

Schmackbolzen wrote:I have two examples which don't work correctly: Github and Gitlab. I just chose some arbitrary projects for demonstration. It does not matter which one you choose.
[....]
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
Schmackbolzen

Post by Schmackbolzen »

Interesting. So there is a workaround, thanks. Will try it, although it is a bit awkward. Let's just hope it will be fixed one day in a normal Seamonkey version, as you will not convince any normal user with that (they will not use a search engine or ask in a forum, but rather switch to another browser altogether).
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Um, it's not totally a a SeaMonkey issue. Much (most?) of the problem is with web sites coding only for specific, widely used browsers. Until MS replaced Internet Explorer with Chrome based Edge, there were often problems where some sites didn't deal properly with Firefox because they were using non-standard, IE specific code.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)