Fewer and Fewer Sites working in SM

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
v_v

Re: Fewer and Fewer Sites working in SM

Post by v_v »

LinuxUserSince1991,

I do not have an American Express card so I can say nothing about that situation. But I can say that many financial web sites in general seem to have issues with SeaMonkey. I have a Barclays Rewards card that works fine with SeaMonkey, in all ways---yet at the same time it also gives me messages saying that I may be missing out on something because my browser is out of date. As another example I have a Capital One Rewards card and I can examine the account and pay my balance, but when I try to use the Rewards functions it tells me to get a different browser and blocks any further activities regarding rewards. As people have said many of these sites will just refuse to recognize SeaMonkey for some or all of their functions. But SeaMonkey certainly is not the only one. The newer Opera browser based on an up-to-date Chromium also gets blocked by the Capital One rewards system. So sometimes it just pays to have extra browsers around for special cases.

v_v
-Px-

Post by -Px- »

Frank Lion wrote:
-Px- wrote:Is YouTube videos listing broken for everyone, or just me?
Works fine for me.

Setting a general override is the usual reason for Youtube not working. Test with a clean profile?
Thanks, just tested with a clean profile, and result was the same. But this time I've caught an error in Error Console:
Timestamp: 11/16/2021, 1:12:39 AM
Error: TypeError: a.$ is undefined
Source File: https://www.youtube.com/s/desktop/216d5 ... rowsers.js
Line: 2946
Out of curiosity I've added an override for a "modern" browser version, and the result was the same, just the error was different
Timestamp: 11/16/2021, 1:15:46 AM
Error: TypeError: window.customElements is undefined
Source File: https://www.youtube.com/s/desktop/216d5 ... polymer.js
Line: 832
So I'm assuming maybe the situation is opposite, you have some add-on which makes YouTube working for you :). Or maybe I'm now getting new scripts version, which is now being tested in our region.

PS: on closing page I've also got
Timestamp: 11/16/2021, 1:17:33 AM
Error: The character encoding of the plain text document was not declared. The document will render with garbled text in some browser configurations if the document contains characters from outside the US-ASCII range. The character encoding of the file needs to be declared in the transfer protocol or file needs to use a byte order mark as an encoding signature.
Source File: https://www.youtube.com/s/desktop/216d5 ... rowsers.js
Line: 0
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

v_v wrote:LinuxUserSince1991,

I do not have an American Express card so I can say nothing about that situation. But I can say that many financial web sites in general seem to have issues with SeaMonkey. I have a Barclays Rewards card that works fine with SeaMonkey, in all ways---yet at the same time it also gives me messages saying that I may be missing out on something because my browser is out of date. As another example I have a Capital One Rewards card and I can examine the account and pay my balance, but when I try to use the Rewards functions it tells me to get a different browser and blocks any further activities regarding rewards. As people have said many of these sites will just refuse to recognize SeaMonkey for some or all of their functions. But SeaMonkey certainly is not the only one. The newer Opera browser based on an up-to-date Chromium also gets blocked by the Capital One rewards system. So sometimes it just pays to have extra browsers around for special cases.
I wrote a response to this earlier today; after verifying it had posted, I left, came back, and it was gone. Poof! Like it never existed. Oh well. My point is/was that Bank of America does to me what Barclays does to you, i.e., tells me I'm using an outdated browser. Also, with Capital One, I don't recall any problems offhand with redeeming rewards--and I have three of their rewards cards--but the next time I get ready to redeem, I'll keep this thread in mind.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

-Px- wrote:So I'm assuming maybe the situation is opposite, you have some add-on which makes YouTube working for you :)
Yep, magic beans :)

As you can imagine, I did check in a new profile, before my last post here and it was OK. However, that was in 2.53.9, I find that in 2.53.9.1, bizarrely, you need to advertise only as Firefox (60) to get those links to work.

2.53.10 is even worse! That requires Firefox 60 as the UA suffix, not the new Firefox 68 one that 2.53.10 comes with.

tl:dr? - just do this, all tested and it works - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14902749
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
-Px-

Post by -Px- »

Yep, with override to FF 60 YouTube is working fine again, thanks :)
WaltP

Post by WaltP »

My User Agent Setting was set to "Seamonkey as Firefox", now set to "Fifrefox". Youtube is still broken. If there's more that needs to be set, please explain in detail. Using 2.53.10
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

WaltP wrote:My User Agent Setting was set to "Seamonkey as Firefox", now set to "Fifrefox". Youtube is still broken. If there's more that needs to be set, please explain in detail.
*sigh* You need a site specific override for youtube.com
Frank Lion wrote:tl:dr? - just do this, all tested and it works - http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14902749
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
WaltP

Post by WaltP »

*sigh* And how does one do a "sight specific override"? I'm not a Seamonkey programmer so I don't know the internals.

What's a tl:dr? Where does one use it?
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

WaltP wrote:*sigh* And how does one do a "sight specific override"? I'm not a Seamonkey programmer so I don't know the internals.
They just mean an override for a specific site, in this case YouTube. Sorry I can't help you do it, though.
What's a tl:dr? Where does one use it?
TL;DR is a thing that started on Reddit(?) years ago, meaning 'too long, didn't read'--a person would write that in a reply. It's now used by the author of a long post meaning 'if you don't want to read all of this, here's the thumbnail version of what I said...."
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Can the override for FireFox be in place at the same time as the general override? And exactly what is the 32-bit override that should be used?

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
NWKnight77

Post by NWKnight77 »

The only issue I'm having with YouTube is a brief hang when I click on a certain video, probably related to ads and/or uBlock Origin.
lvm

Post by lvm »

Actually with youtube it depends on what type of page are you trying to view. Main page (youtube.com) works fine, individual video pages also have no issues but channel pages e.g. https://www.youtube.com/c/SUPERGTOfficialChannel/videos display only the search bar, everything else is blank.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

lvm wrote:[....] but channel pages e.g. https://www.youtube.com/c/SUPERGTOfficialChannel/videos display only the search bar, everything else is blank.

Honestly, I don't believe what you say:

How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

ElTxolo wrote:
lvm wrote:[....] but channel pages e.g. https://www.youtube.com/c/SUPERGTOfficialChannel/videos display only the search bar, everything else is blank.
Honestly, I don't believe what you say:
There is no law that force you to believe but I have exactly the same empty page.

But when I've searched for this channel and then clicked Videos then it works. Clicking on direct URL gives empty page.

UA for YT -> default SeaMonkey only (as you can see)
Cookies -> enabled
Account -> logged in
ADB+ -> blocks only "doubleclick.com" domain

It is repeatable.

Fake UA (Fx 68 or 78) for YT gives empty main page and limited functionality for direct URL for particular video. I have fake UA for other Google's domains.

:-"
--
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

TPR75 wrote: [....] There is no law that force you to believe but I have exactly the same empty page.

But when I've searched for this channel and then clicked Videos then it works. Clicking on direct URL gives empty page.

[....] Fake UA (Fx 68 or 78) for YT gives empty main page and limited functionality for direct URL for particular video. I have fake UA for other Google's domains.
    Well, I feel sorry for you.

What would be really cool, is to read the previous messages, before spouting antics:
    -Px- wrote:
    Frank Lion wrote: [...] As you can imagine, I did check in a new profile, before my last post here and it was OK. However, that was in 2.53.9, I find that in 2.53.9.1, bizarrely,
    you need to advertise only as Firefox (60) to get those links to work.
    Yep, with override to FF 60 YouTube is working fine again, thanks :)

How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240318 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.2
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240416 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~