Fewer and Fewer Sites working in SM

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
DanRaisch

Re: Fewer and Fewer Sites working in SM

Post by DanRaisch »

I shouldn't have to upgrade a browser every couple of days just to be able to view a common website.
Not sure how four years between updates correlates to "every couple of days" but it's your choice. You've received responses to your original post that have been offered with good will and significant expertise. Now, whether you choose to take advantage of the experience of others who are successfully using the newer versions or not is entirely up to you.
Stereodoc

Post by Stereodoc »

FWIW, this morning I went to shop for some lumber at my local Home Depot website and I experienced the same thing as the OP. The machine that exhibited the blank HD window is/was using version 2.53.3 while 2 other machines that do not exhibit the blank HD window are using 2.53.6. I didn't think much of it and used FF to do my shopping then later happened upon this post. the interesting thing when this happened I entered my search term in the HD search box and for a brief period the page loaded then vanished. I just upgraded the machine to 2.53.6 and HD works like the other 2 machines. I'm not convinced that this was a SM issue with 2.53.3 but rather an anomaly with the HD website because I have not had issues with the HD website before when using 2.53.3.
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

The only "issue" I experience is with online banking. When I go to log in to my bank's online services, I just get a warning saying that "it appears as though you're using an unsupported web browser. For the best service experience.... blah, blah, blah." Apart from this, everything works as it should.
My current rig: Acer Aspire One D257, ALT Linux (Sisyphus x86_64), Window Maker (0.96.0), SeaMonkey (2.53.18.2)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I'm always relieved when I venture successfully to do transactions with my online banking.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

Peter Creasey wrote:I'm always relieved when I venture successfully to do transactions with my online banking.
Yeah, we live a far way out of town, off the beaten path so to speak. A lot of our banking takes place on-line, as we don't make the trip to town too frequently. Been even less frequent with the whole Covid situation. About the only time we go into the bank now is to withdraw cash. There's a few hold outs in town that still only deal in cash transaction, which is fine by us. But, sometimes my printer is down and I can't print my own! :lol: :lol: :lol: .
My current rig: Acer Aspire One D257, ALT Linux (Sisyphus x86_64), Window Maker (0.96.0), SeaMonkey (2.53.18.2)
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Peter Creasey wrote:I'm always relieved when I venture successfully to do transactions with my online banking.
Don't most banks have phone apps you could use.

I do mine in a separate browser profile on my computer with no extensions installed.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Yes, I can access my online bank account using my phone app or my PC. I'm glad that I don't HAVE to use my phone app...it is only an option.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

WaltS48 wrote:Don't most banks have phone apps you could use.
In my opinion, phones/tablets OSs are inherently insecure and are the very last place people should be doing ANY financial transaction from, especially banking ones.

The banking apps themselves are not great either - https://www.itpro.co.uk/security/ethica ... er-threats
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

Frank Lion wrote:In my opinion, phones/tablets OSs are inherently insecure and are the very last place people should be doing ANY financial transaction from, especially banking ones.
I'm with you... I would never use a smartphone or tablet to do banking.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

A smart phone is the only way I know of to make a digital deposit. Any other option(s)?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
davidb_sk

Post by davidb_sk »

Peter Creasey wrote:A smart phone is the only way I know of to make a digital deposit. Any other option(s)?
It is probably the only option for digital deposits. But from my point of view, this convenience is not worth the risk of doing banking on a smartphone. So, my deposits like this are saved for when I visit the bank. It's just a personal choice.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I virtually never go to the bank, so being able to do digital deposits is a tremendous benefit.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:A smart phone is the only way I know of to make a digital deposit. Any other option(s)?
A PC with a scanner.

I read a few US Bank links to make sure we're talking about the same thing and we are. https://www.dcu.org/access/money-moveme ... posit.html

However, I confess that all I do, once a month, is to write my account number of the back of each cheque, put them in an envelope with a little note and post it into their night safe in the evening. Seems to work OK.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I believe I prefer to use my phone. Registering with a 3rd party so I can use my scanner is not something I'm comfortable doing at this time.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:Registering with a 3rd party so I can use my scanner.
What 3rd party would that be?