Fewer and Fewer Sites working in SM

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Wish You Were Here

Fewer and Fewer Sites working in SM

Post by Wish You Were Here »

Back to Netscape Navigator, this was always the pinnacle of browsers. The top dog. The chief enchilada. The one every other browser hoped to be when it grew up.

More and more these days, it seems to be falling to the level of fish wrapping, and it's getting kid of irritating.

Home Depot always worked. Every page. Never had a problem shopping or doing anything I wanted anywhere on the site. Now, even a simple listing page won't display:

https://www.homedepot.com/s/whole%2520h ... fan?NCNI-5

Yet it displays fine in Brave.

What gives guys?

I'm using 2.4.6 and yes, I know there is a newer version, but goldurnit, I shouldn't have to upgrade a browser every couple of days just to be able to view a common website.
DanRaisch

Re: Fewer and Fewer Sites working in SM

Post by DanRaisch »

Blame the web sites for much of the problem. What sort of error message (if any) are you getting when trying to access that Home Depot site? Your UA string is reporting that you are using an obsolete browser, specifically Firefox 59.0.
Also see this thread -- http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14885315
Wish You Were Here

^^ I had to manually alter the UA string a while back to get some sites to work, but I forgot why, or how to change it now. If that would matter.

The HD page simply doesn't load fully. Only the headers and footers, but none of the items or menus display.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Wish You Were Here wrote:https://www.homedepot.com/s/whole%2520h ... fan?NCNI-5

Displays fine in my SM.
Wish You Were Here wrote:I'm using 2.4.6 and yes, I know there is a newer version, but goldurnit, I shouldn't have to
Wish You Were Here wrote:^^ I had to manually alter the UA string a while back to get some sites to work, but I forgot why, or how to change it now. If that would matter.
Your choice, your problem. I shouldn't have to do a lot of things, but I do.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

I'm using 2.4.6 and yes, I know there is a newer version, but goldurnit, I shouldn't have to upgrade a browser every couple of days just to be able to view a common website.

Did you mean 2.46?

There was no 2.4.6, only 2.4.1

SeaMonkey Releases

Maybe after a couple of years you should update.
Linux Desktop - AMD Athlon(tm) II X3 455 3.3GHz | 8.0GB RAM | GeForce GT 630
Windows Notebook - AMD A8 7410 2.2GHz | 6.0GB RAM | AMD Radeon R5
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

Frank Lion wrote:
Wish You Were Here wrote:https://www.homedepot.com/s/whole%2520h ... fan?NCNI-5

Displays fine in my SM.
same here, that homedepot.com link displays and renders fine with SM 2.53.x on my end and using a fresh clean user profile
Wish You Were Here

WaltS48 wrote:Did you mean 2.46?
Indeed.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

My experience has been that sometimes when sites appear to not be working with SM then it means that uBlock needs to be enabled for the site.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
robobox

Post by robobox »

Part of the problem is that SeaMonkey does not currently support WebComponents, which only came out around 2018. From what I have heard partial support in 2.57 might be possible due to Stylo being in it, I think. (And UXP added partial support recently, too)
- sincerely, robobox
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

robobox wrote:Part of the problem is
Part of what problem?

Just because someone writes a clickbait thread title of 'Fewer and Fewer Sites working in SM' and produces exactly one example, which is immediately shown to be working fine in current versions of SeaMonkey, suggests to me if that's the best case you've got then there ain't no problem here.

robobox wrote:Part of the problem is that SeaMonkey does not currently support WebComponents)
You mean doesn't currently support those rare edge cases of WebComponents ever seen in the wild, like here - https://github.com/Polymer/polymer-library-docs ....which immediately renders correctly with the use of the GitHub Web Components Polyfill extension version 1.1.7? Did you mean that sort of non-problem?

I'm sure WebComponets examples do exist that SM can not render, but such sites do seem to be rare.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

Personally I think users should update to 2.53.6, and then complain.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

That's hardly a reasonable approach. To whom are you suggesting the users complain? To the SeaMonkey team? To the owners of sites that are "not compatible"?
rainyd

Post by rainyd »

I have a simple question to OP: are you really complaining about problems with some websites while using over 4 years old (released on 22nd December 2016) version of SeaMonkey?
Last edited by rainyd on March 1st, 2021, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WaltS48

Post by WaltS48 »

DanRaisch wrote:That's hardly a reasonable approach. To whom are you suggesting the users complain? To the SeaMonkey team? To the owners of sites that are "not compatible"?
To whom are they complaining to here using a four-year-old 2.46?
Wish You Were Here

I have no idea when it was released, nor do I care all that much. I haven't had it that long. I never jump on something as soon as it's released. I read up on what troubles people are having and wait until the bugs gets worked out.

I've resisted newer versions due to the perceived lack of support for some of the add-ons I've gotten used to.

I drive 25+ year old cars because I don't like the newer gizmos that require a computer science degree to change tires or spark plugs. Do the new cars even have spark plugs?

When I find something that works, I stay with it more or less to the last possible point before it completely dies. I don't like new for the sake of new.

So, until or unless someone can show me that the site linked above works in their install of 2.46 ....