Fewer and Fewer Sites working in SM

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
LinuxUserSince1991

Re: Fewer and Fewer Sites working in SM

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

ndebord wrote:LinuxUser

Find a few venture capitalists who are willing to subsidize SeaMonkey and it could be improved. Sadly, that is not likely, so it is what it is. I use it as my default browser, email of course, Chatzilla for a couple of feeds, Calendar in coordination with Google's online Calendar and Composer as a companion to newer website programs. Having to right-click was a PITA when first it started to happen, but as time has passed, I've gotten used to doing that, albeit with no enthusiasm for the task.
I hear you. :(

It's just that the way things are going, it looks like--soon--SM will fail to work with the majority of sites. When that happens...I don't know what I'll do.

Granted, it's been many, many years since I even *tried* to customize a different browser, trying to make it work and look the way I want, so I have no idea if another browser exists that could be a viable replacement. A few of my customizations on SM include unique colors for each tab, double-clicking a tab to open a new tab next to it, and having a 'back to top/bottom' feature in my right-click menu. it's that last one that I TRULY can't do without!
sunclad

Post by sunclad »

I like the email client in SM. Stopped with Usenet a decade ago. One solution would be to allow Sm to launch the default browser on your computer. It may be a sacrilege to some but the fact is that the SM browser bogs down now on a lot of sites that have high-data content and a lot of media content. For example, on Facebook it eventually slows so much the keyboard lags and content is not pulled down from the site. I don't have this issue with a chrome-flavored browser.

I also hold on to Sm for some fo the legacy add-ons and extensions. However I have already loaded BetterBird (a knock off of TB), and migrating there already.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I don't use Facebook much, but I have never noticed it bogging down with SM.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
LinuxUserSince1991

I don't use facebook at all, and wonder why anyone still does?! I deleted my account years ago--and that was before the massively-publicized data breaches, privacy breaches, covert data sharing, etc., that came to light.

Anyway, as for SM, very few sites that I use slow it down. Amazon used to--really badly!! I think I even posted about it--but lately it's been okay. These days my problems are limited to sites simply not working, or not working completely. And, frankly, I'm sick and tired of having sites tell me I'm using "an outdated" browser....even though it's perfectly current. Just because THEY don't recognize it doesn't make it outdated or obsolete.

I have mail I've carried with me for decades, and don't want to lose access to that. I archive off mail that I know I don't need to access, but I keep some very ancient mail because I want to. Like mail from deceased parents and siblings and friends.... I installed TB a few times, in anticipation of losing SM, but I can't get it to look/act the way I have SM.
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

LinuxUserSince1991 wrote:
ndebord wrote:LinuxUser

Find a few venture capitalists who are willing to subsidize SeaMonkey and it could be improved. Sadly, that is not likely, so it is what it is. I use it as my default browser, email of course, Chatzilla for a couple of feeds, Calendar in coordination with Google's online Calendar and Composer as a companion to newer website programs. Having to right-click was a PITA when first it started to happen, but as time has passed, I've gotten used to doing that, albeit with no enthusiasm for the task.
I hear you. :(

It's just that the way things are going, it looks like--soon--SM will fail to work with the majority of sites. When that happens...I don't know what I'll do.

Granted, it's been many, many years since I even *tried* to customize a different browser, trying to make it work and look the way I want, so I have no idea if another browser exists that could be a viable replacement. A few of my customizations on SM include unique colors for each tab, double-clicking a tab to open a new tab next to it, and having a 'back to top/bottom' feature in my right-click menu. it's that last one that I TRULY can't do without!
LinuxUser

I go back to {COMMO} (DOS and Freenets) and later Mosaic and of course the original Netscape Navigator.

If I have to treat SeaMonkey like one of its extensions and use the browser part only to right-click on difficult web sites, so be it. As long as POP3, HTML coding, and IRC Chat survive, there is no reason to leave Seamonkey. I can live with right-clicking to pull up a different browser if necessary, just don't have to like it, but no reason to throw the program out the window!

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

ndebord wrote:use the browser part only to right-click on difficult web site
You have said this a few times -- what do you mean? How do you right click and get to a different browser?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Peter Creasey wrote:
ndebord wrote:use the browser part only to right-click on difficult web site
You have said this a few times -- what do you mean? How do you right click and get to a different browser?
Peter

Standalone SeaMonkey Mail

You will see in options, where you can browse for an external browser. Once you have decided on one, right click will use that browser instead. I didn't find that extension myself. Somebody else did and it is in one of the forum messages.

Nick
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

ndebord wrote:Standalone SeaMonkey Mail
You will see in options, where you can browse for an external browser. Once you have decided on one, right click will use that browser instead. I didn't find that extension myself. Somebody else did and it is in one of the forum messages.
Sorry, I still don't understand -- Standalone SeaMonkey Mail? Options where?

What I do is reduce my SeaMonkey page(s) and click on another browser icon in my task bar. Definitely a pain in the neck to have to do this so hopefully the developers are working to make SM as capable/versatile as FF and other browsers.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
LinuxUserSince1991

Peter Creasey wrote:What I do is reduce my SeaMonkey page(s) and click on another browser icon in my task bar. Definitely a pain in the neck to have to do this so hopefully the developers are working to make SM as capable/versatile as FF and other browsers.
Just now I was reminded of *yet* another site that bombs out with SM: Amazon Music Unlimited. It gives me this dire warning--on a black page:
Your browser is not supported

For the best experience accessing Amazon Music we recommend using the latest version of Firefox, Chrome, Safari or Edge.
Note that it says they *recommend* using blah blah blah....but there is no way to proceed with the browser you're using.

I PAY for this service....but can't use it on my computers without switching to a different browser. ](*,)
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Peter Creasey wrote:
ndebord wrote:Standalone SeaMonkey Mail
Sorry, I still don't understand -- Standalone SeaMonkey Mail? Options where?

What I do is reduce my SeaMonkey page(s) and click on another browser icon in my task bar. Definitely a pain in the neck to have to do this so hopefully the developers are working to make SM as capable/versatile as FF and other browsers.
Peter,

Do a search for an extension called standalone seamonkey mail. That is the one I am talking about here. Look here:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2912243

Nick
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Interesting, thanks...but not something that is suitable for me at this time.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Peter Creasey wrote:Interesting, thanks...but not something that is suitable for me at this time.
Peter,

Whatever works for your situation! <g>

Nick
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Peter Creasey wrote:Interesting, thanks...but not something that is suitable for me at this time.
Peter,

If you should change your mind, here is one way I find it useful.

Say that I get email from a financial institution. In Seamonkey mail module, if I click on the link in that email, my external browser (in this case Firefox) will open that up. If I right-click, Seamonkey will open it up. As some of my financial sites no longer open easily in Seamonkey, this method allows me to skip some extra steps that normally I would have to endure.

Nick
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

That does sound handy. I just got a blank page at msn.com even though I have general.useragent.override set.

I'm having to go to my backup browser quite a lot now.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote: I just got a blank page at msn.com even though I have general.useragent.override set.
Not 'even though', but 'because of'. Which is why you can't see anything here either - https://www.youtube.com/ i.e. the #2 most visited site in the world.
I'm having to go to my backup browser quite a lot now.
Yep, still, it was your choice. I'm outta here.......
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)