Compatibility with current addons

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Kawuppke

Compatibility with current addons

Post by Kawuppke »

I am Seamonkey user since the first publication. Meanwhile I have a problem with Seamonkey. For Firefox available current addons are largely no longer usable. A reinstallation in case of a defective profile would not be possible anymore, the currently used addons are no longer available for Seamonkey. For email, a migration to Thunderbird would be possible. As a browser, I would miss Seamonkey very much, because the alternatives do not really convince me completely.
Is there a concrete plan for adapting to current adds?
DanRaisch

Re: Compatibility with current addons

Post by DanRaisch »

Extensions (add-ons) must be compatible with the primary application, SeaMonkey, not the other way around. Following Firefox's lead, the format for coding extensions for SeaMonkey was changed for greater security. It is up to the authors of the specific extensions you wish to use to update them for compatibility or to abandon them if some required functionality is no longer possible with that new coding format.
therube

Post by therube »

For Firefox available current addons are largely no longer usable.
No current FF extensions would be usable in SeaMonkey.
A reinstallation in case of a defective profile
Assuming your existing extensions haven't "gone bad", they should be available - from your existing Profile (generally within the /extensions/ directory).
Plus, you do backup your Profile, so you have backups to fall back on ;-).

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/ may have extensions.
Or Classic Add-ons Archive (ca-archive).
Some extensions are still hosted on the developers site (like NoScript "Classic" & uBlock-for-firefox-legacy [& SeaMonkey]).
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
Kawuppke

Post by Kawuppke »

So I can wait and see whether the programmers of the add-ons create a version for Seamonkey or work with a browser without add-ons? Using outdated versions is certainly not a solution.
NoScript, uBlock or Ablock are standard addons for me. For a browser with a small market share, the probability of specially programmed versions is very low. It would be easier to say goodbye to Seamonkey, which I would very much regret. I fear without a solution to the availability of addons, Seamonkey will be EOL in the medium term ...
Last edited by Kawuppke on May 17th, 2021, 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Kawuppke wrote:So I can wait and see whether the programmers of the add-ons create a version for Seamonkey or work with a browser without add-ons?
Odd conclusion to make from the above, I would have thought. But, yeah, you can do that if you want, but this is a better method -
therube wrote: Assuming your existing extensions haven't "gone bad", they should be available - from your existing Profile (generally within the /extensions/ directory).
Plus, you do backup your Profile
, so you have backups to fall back on ;-).

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-US/seamonkey/ may have extensions.
Or Classic Add-ons Archive (ca-archive).
Some extensions are still hosted on the developers site (like NoScript "Classic" & uBlock-for-firefox-legacy [& SeaMonkey]).
....i.e. this is the answer to your original question in your opening post.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Kawuppke

Post by Kawuppke »

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/seamonkey/ has much less addons compared to Firefox. Classic add-ons are not really a solution. If you already expand a browser through Addons, then these should be up to date ...
For a long time, the Firefox Addons worked with Seamonkey. Now Firefox has changed the concept, according to my knowledge for security reasons. I'm not a programmer, but is the expense Seamonkey to adapt too big or just not wanted?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Kawuppke wrote:https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/seamonkey/ has mu... wanted?
What has any of that got to do with the one and only question/problem you enquired about in your opening post? -
Kawuppke wrote:...A reinstallation in case of a defective profile would not be possible anymore, the currently used addons are no longer available for Seamonkey.
Kawuppke wrote: ...but is the expense Seamonkey to adapt too big or just not wanted?
The expense of just about every SeaMonkey user dropping SM when they realise that it's pretty much an either/or situation and that they cannot have their existing useful extensions/themes AND the feeble Firefox WebExtensions? Yep, the expense is probably too much.

The few remaining SM users left after that would then complain that SM plus WebExtensions is like a poor version of Firefox anyway and move to using Firefox.

Does that answer your latest questions or do you have more 'Are we there yet? Are we there yet?' type points to make?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

Kawuppke wrote:https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us/seamonkey/ has much less addons compared to Firefox. Classic add-ons are not really a solution.
so what

it's still up to those authors/creators of the addons to make them compatible with Seamonkey
you have to ask or contact them instead