saving a download without dialog box

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
RcC

saving a download without dialog box

Post by RcC »

In Sea Monkey version 2.4??? I could right click on a picture select save and it would download to a specified folder showing a progress box and then it would close. If there was picture or file by that name it would add a number to the end of the original name. My version of Sea Monkey now opens a download window with the name of the picture/file and waits for me to click OK. If the name exist I have to give it a new name. Can any one tell me what I have to do get back to clicking save and it's done? ](*,)
Ric
frg

Re: saving a download without dialog box

Post by frg »

Edit->Preferences->Downloads->Open a progress dialog
RcC

Post by RcC »

frg wrote:Edit->Preferences->Downloads->Open a progress dialog
Thanks for the reply frg. That is what I had. A "save image" box comes up and I have to click on SAVE. If the file name already exist I have to rename it.
Like I said in my post once I right clicked on the picture and selected SAVE I was done. It saved the picture to the already selected folder and if the file name was already there it would add a (1) to the end of the file name. I remember one other time when I updated Sea Monkey I ran into this problem but figured it out. This time I am lost with any thing new to try. Forgot to add... while the picture was being saved a progress box opened and the bar shot across and then it closed. Could it be a system setting instead of a Sea Monkey setting?
Ric
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

frg wrote:Edit->Preferences->Downloads->Open a progress dialog
That doesn't work for me.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
RcC

Post by RcC »

Having the same problem Frank? Did you perform an update and lose that capability? I sure wish I had writen down what I did the last time this happened to me. If I figure it out again I will write it down and post here what I found.
Ric
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

RcC wrote:Having the same problem Frank?
Not really, but after reading your post I vaguely recalled that in the past images, etc used to be instantly saved without dialog.

I figured it would be good to have that back again...and that's when I found out I couldn't, including trying various about:config ideas, let alone frg's one. No idea how it's done now or if even possible.

https://www.lifewire.com/modifying-down ... fox-445716
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
RcC

Post by RcC »

I even went back to an older version of SeaMonkey and still can not get it to work. I know it was working before and I'll keep looking for a solution.
Ric
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

RcC wrote:I know it was working before and I'll keep looking for a solution.
Solution might be tricky, but at least I know what's going on now.

It's a SeaMonkey badly worded right click context menu option. SM is invoking a 'Save As' option and not a 'Save' option as stated.

Points to note -

#1. - zips save as expected - https://www.thinkbroadband.com/download i.e. instantly if Options are set right. Images do not.

#2. - The options dialog box that is opened is a Windows one, not a SM one.

#3. - Select 'View Image' then use Ctl + S and the image is saved immediately. The Windows hotkey for 'Save As' is Ctl + Shift + S .....ergo, SM is actually invoking the 'Save As' option in the menu and not the 'Save' one as stated.
RcC

Post by RcC »

I see what you mean. It does save a file with out input from me but it saves it with a .jfiff extension. I'd have to go in a rename the pictures. Close but no cigar. I just wish I could even remember what version of SM I had and go back to that and see what happens. I went back to 2.49.1 so maybe I'll try even further back. Thanks for taken the time to explain how SM handles downloads.
Ric
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

RcC wrote:I see what you mean. It does save a file with out input from me but it saves it with a .jfiff extension.
You sure, mine just saves as .jpg or .png or whatever? Even so, just having to first select 'View Image' before doing Ctrl + S still puts this as a 'close, but no cigar' type 'fix'.

Let me know if you ever find that SM version?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

RcC wrote: I'll keep looking for a solution.
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14897978
RcC

Post by RcC »

Frank ctrl-S does work. I believe the one picture I tried it on was not a jpg file. Tried it on a jpg and it worked. Thanks for the trouble. I am now going to look into the Metal Lion Image Saver. Thanks again, great work.
Ric