Is there any way to darken the scroll bar?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
NWKnight77

Is there any way to darken the scroll bar?

Post by NWKnight77 »

I am using the Seamonkey default theme. I have Windows 10 in dark mode, but for some reason, my scroll bar on SeaMonkey is basically white on white. It can very be difficult to see. I basically click the bottom to force it down so I can grab it. Now I know what you're thinking. "Why not just use the mouse wheel and forget about the scroll bar?" I do most of the time, but it's not as fast or informative.
Peter Creasey

Re: Is there any way to darken the scroll bar?

Post by Peter Creasey »

What is the "scroll bar"?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

NWKnight77,
You might be able to change the colours with code in a userChrome.css file saved in a chrome folder added to SeaMonkey's profile.

Code: Select all

/* Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct functioning */
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
 /* set default namespace to XUL */

/* Change colours for scrollbar */
scrollbar {
  background: #444444 !important;
}

thumb {
  background: #AAAAAA 50% 50% no-repeat !important;
}
That might do the trick. I just copied the code from a third-party theme. You can change the colour codes to suit.

Peter Creasey ,
The scroll bar is the thing on the right side and/or bottom of the window with a sliding thing that is used to scroll the page up and down or right and left.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Okay, that should have occurred to me. Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
NWKnight77

Post by NWKnight77 »

I couldn't get it to work. Not a big deal, I guess.
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

Anonymosity wrote:You might be able to change the colours with code in a userChrome.css file saved in a chrome folder added to SeaMonkey's profile.

/* Do not remove the @namespace line -- it's required for correct functioning */
@namespace url("http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul");
 /* set default namespace to XUL */

/* Change colours for scrollbar */
scrollbar {
  background: #444444 !important;
}

thumb {
  background: #AAAAAA 50% 50% no-repeat !important;
}
That might do the trick. I just copied the code from a third-party theme. You can change the colour codes to suit.
I'm getting mixed results with this, and have done quite a bit of experimenting before posting! The color I assign for 'thumb' changes the scrollbar to that color--but in the e-mail client ONLY, not the browser. The color I assign for 'scrollbar' has no effect at all, and the arrows at the top and bottom of scrollbars are unaffected.

My userChrome.css file is already very customized, and I've carried it with me for years. But I'm not seeing anything that should create a conflict with this or cause it not to work.

Can anyone help? I've already looked at this very helpful Customizing Mozilla page, but didn't notice anything that would help.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

I forgot about the binding. Maybe that is necessary to add before setting the background.

scrollbar {
  -moz-binding: url("chrome://global/content/bindings/scrollbar.xml#scrollbar");
}
LinuxUserSince1991

Post by LinuxUserSince1991 »

Anonymosity wrote:I forgot about the binding. Maybe that is necessary to add before setting the background.

scrollbar {
  -moz-binding: url("chrome://global/content/bindings/scrollbar.xml#scrollbar");
}
Thanks, but it didn't help.