Overrides & The Future of SeaMonkey

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Peter Creasey

Overrides & The Future of SeaMonkey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Sites beginning to fail to launch/work is a problem for the future of SeaMonkey. The vast majority of people have no idea how to insert appropriate overrides...or even that this is what's necessary.

Thought should be given to somehow making SeaMonkey capable of adjusting itself as needed when overrides need to be updated.

Thoughts anyone?
Last edited by Peter Creasey on August 20th, 2021, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Wish You Were Here

Re: Overrides & The Future of SeaMonkey

Post by Wish You Were Here »

^^^ I don't know how that would be possible. Site designers and managers need to get their collective heads out of the GooRankRace and get back to a set of standards so that sites work with all browsers, not just the ones provided by the GooRankRace demons.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Hmm, 96 viewings over two days and no answers to the question of how SeaMonkey will fare given the apparent need for continual new overrides and overrides updates.

Any thoughts by anyone?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

Peter Creasey wrote:Hmm, 96 viewings over two days and no answers to the question of how SeaMonkey will fare given the apparent need for continual new overrides and overrides updates.

Any thoughts by anyone?
Peter,

It is an interesting suggestion, how it could be implemented is beyond me,
Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
frg

Post by frg »

> It is an interesting suggestion, how it could be implemented is beyond me,

Waterfox implemented an internal override list. Wanted to look at it for some time but there are only so may hours in a day. IanN and I are the main contributors to the source right now and unless this changes it will be going at a more leisurly pace.

The good thing is that basically 90% of the sites whoch do this type of checking are ad ridden contentless junk anyway.

FRG
ndebord

Post by ndebord »

frg wrote:> It is an interesting suggestion, how it could be implemented is beyond me,

Waterfox implemented an internal override list. Wanted to look at it for some time but there are only so may hours in a day. IanN and I are the main contributors to the source right now and unless this changes it will be going at a more leisurly pace.

The good thing is that basically 90% of the sites whoch do this type of checking are ad ridden contentless junk anyway.

FRG
FRG,

No argument there. Sounds like SeaMonkey needs a billionaire to step up to the plate!

As I have SM set up with right-clicks to Chromium browsers and WaterFox in email, I am reasonably comfortable... it's just my stubborn desire to do it all with SM. <g>

Nick
-N- Si vis pacem, para bellum
FrameWork, SeaMonkey(64-bit),Windows 10 Pro (X64- 21H2), WinPatrol, Malwarebytes & Panda Dome
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

frg wrote:Waterfox implemented an internal override list.
Thanks for responding. Time constraints understood.

When the overrides strings version needs to be updated, will there b something that provides details on what to update the overrides strings to? Or will we have to come here and inquire?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

frg wrote:The good thing is that basically 90% of the sites whoch do this type of checking are ad ridden contentless junk
If I'm an example, further thought perhaps should be given to whether this is broadly true.

In my case, I've needed overrides for the U.S. government IRS payment site, linkedin, msn, yahoo, my bank, and maybe one or two others. All of these are very key sites for my purposes.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
alexyu

Post by alexyu »

Until there's an 'official' SM 2.57, I'm keeping SM 2.49.5, since my main reason for using SM are the XUL extensions I've gathered and tweaked over the years: Since many won't work with 2.53, I'd have to look into web extensions then, so I might as well do it once the 'new' SM (might be "3.1", instead) is stable and working.

In the meantime, I use SM as my primary browser; if a site doesn't work, I try UA changes and/or JS-off for that page via PrefBar, and if that doesn't do it, I use "open with" to FF or MS Edge; this usually works, so for now I can "keep on truckin'" this way.
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

alexyu wrote:Until there's an 'official' SM 2.57, I'm keeping SM 2.49.5, since my main reason for using SM are the XUL extensions I've gathered and tweaked over the years: Since many won't work with 2.53, I'd have to look into web extensions then, so I might as well do it once the 'new' SM (might be "3.1", instead) is stable and working.
Most of the extensions which I was using are still working with 2.53. A few such as MR Tech Toolkit and Cookie Monster stopped working, but the others are fine. Turbo downloader failed to work, bu† DownThemAll still does.
alexyu

Post by alexyu »

The key word here is "most": From several reports, I know that not ALL 2.49 extensions work in 2.53 -- and I prefer to start the search for substitutes after 2.57 has the 'definitive' list of non-working extensions.
TPR75

Post by TPR75 »

Anonymosity wrote:[...] Cookie Monster stopped working, but the others are fine.
CM works but requires some tweaking:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14823094

There is download link... if you're brave.
--
frg

Post by frg »

> In my case, I've needed overrides for the U.S. government IRS payment site, linkedin, msn, yahoo, my bank, and maybe one or two others. All of these are very key sites for my purposes.

Well linkedin msn and yahoo fall into my personal crap category :) but the others not. It is a shame that version sniffing is done by common sites. Either sniff features or don't.

As for 2.57. I don't have an eta. Not enough manpower available. And webextensions might initally only work for the browser there. No real api and it is bsically limited when it comes to customization. That is why TB needs to reinvent the wheel now with their mail extensions.

FRG
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

frg wrote: It is a shame that version sniffing is done by common sites.
Is there not an easy answer to the questions I've asked?...
When the overrides strings version needs to be updated, will there b something that provides details on what to update the overrides strings to? Or will we have to come here and inquire?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
therube

Post by therube »

Pale Moon has a (defaulted) list of overrides.

IMO, rather then having something "in the browser", you should set up a "community board" - somewhere (like here, perhaps), with a list of sites that require overrides & UA's that work for the override.

The list, listed & updated in the second post, with any discussions in any follow up replies.
(I nominate Peter to be its overseer ;-).)

how SeaMonkey will fare given the apparent need for continual new overrides and overrides updates
Nothing apparent. And SeaMonkey will fare very well, thank you.
I have zero overrides in my current (main) Profile.
In my bank (BoA) Profile, I set general.useragent.compatMode.strict-firefox;true & nothing more.
will there b something that provides details on what to update the overrides strings to? Or will we have to come here and inquire?
There are no "details" to be known. Only what might or might not happen to work - for some.
In my case, I've needed overrides for the U.S. government IRS payment site, linkedin, msn, yahoo, my bank, and maybe one or two others. All of these are very key sites for my purposes.
Exactly - in your case.
IRS (if that is eftps.com or irs.gov) no override needed on my end. Yahoo, I've never used an override. Bank, noted above.

(
my main reason for using SM are the XUL extensions I've gathered and tweaked over the years: Since many won't work with 2.53
In general, I'd think it odd that an extension that works in 2.49 doesn't work in 2.53.
(Anyhow this talk should be moved to another thread.))
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript