Overrides & The Future of SeaMonkey

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Anonymosity

Re: Overrides & The Future of SeaMonkey

Post by Anonymosity »

TPR75 wrote:
Anonymosity wrote:[...] Cookie Monster stopped working, but the others are fine.
CM works but requires some tweaking:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... #p14823094

There is download link... if you're brave.
I found another cookie manager (also written for Firefox, so needed tweaking) which works, so I am happy. I had already tweaked Cookie Monster, but after SM 2.53, I could not get it working.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

therube wrote:, rather then having something "in the browser", you should set up a "community board" - somewhere (like here, perhaps), with a list of sites that require overrides & UA's that work for the override.
I second that proposal. Definitely a prudent approach, at least for those of us aware of the need to tweak SeaMonkey user agents overrides.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
frg

Post by frg »

As a test baloon I have set the Gecko version to 91.0 for the next WG9s build. Lets see how it goes. Amazon and ebay still seem to be ok.

Overrides will still work of course.

FRG
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

frg wrote:As a test baloon I have set the Gecko version to 91.0 for the next WG9s build. Lets see how it goes. Amazon and ebay still seem to be ok.
What does this mean? Does it perhaps mean that SM will self-adjust so that individual, specific overrides won't constantly be necessary (which, of course, would be ideal!)?

Thanks.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Rob_S

Post by Rob_S »

Test to check my current user agent
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

Rob_S wrote:Test to check my current user agent
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/91.0
That is Firefox 91, not Gecko 91.
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

frg wrote:As a test baloon I have set the Gecko version to 91.0 for the next WG9s build. Lets see how it goes. Amazon and ebay still seem to be ok.
That will immediately break YouTube.

Add, by default, a site specific override of, say, Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0 to fix. It doesn't seem to like SeaMonkey using Firefox versions much more recent than that.

As you say, let's see how it goes, but if 91.0 seems to fix most (not feature based detections, obviously) Ua string problems, then there might be a case to be made for adding site specific exception by default, for those few (?) exceptions as well. Just depends how many we're (you) looking at.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
frg

Post by frg »

It is now at 78. 91 did break at least facebook. It is just a test baloon as stated. It works for the sites I browse now including youtube but didn't try to login into it. imggur sees to have some shiny new crap code in the works but it seems to be breaking independent of version.

> As you say, let's see how it goes, but if 91.0 seems to fix most (not feature based detections, obviously) Ua string problems, then there might be a case to be made for adding site specific exception by default, for those few (?) exceptions as well. Just depends how many we're (you) looking at.

Setting it to 78 did take about 20 minutes including a compile. Implementing a ua override system even if ported from Waterfox takes a but more time. I know that I/we need to look inito this but probably not for the next release. The changed override only if there are no major sites breaking with this.

FRG
rainyd

Post by rainyd »

frg wrote:It is now at 78. 91 did break at least facebook. It is just a test baloon as stated. It works for the sites I browse now including youtube but didn't try to login into it.
FRG
Unfortunately, YouTube clearly doesn't like a new user agent:

After switching to SeaMonkey or SeaMonkey with Firefox compatibility there's no issue, however Google search engine present results in a different way.