Form box size

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
alexyu

Form box size

Post by alexyu »

For a long time, I've tried to determine the source of a behavior in my SM browser: Frequently, the 'box' to enter info into a form can be resized, dragging on a 'dotted triangle' in the lower rightmost corner of the box, which is very useful to fill out longer texts (like this one I'm writing).

I'm mainly curious to know if that's a SM feature, or the result of some extension I've installed; I haven't been able to find any indication one way or the other, so maybe someone can answer this.

Besides pure curiosity, if it's some extension, that would indicate that one would be one of my 'priorities' when trying to find web extensions to do what the XUL ones do, in the future...
hardys

Re: Form box size

Post by hardys »

It is a build in feature and works in text areas in form fields. The web designer can restrict this behavior with some css rules.
There is no extension needed.
alexyu

Post by alexyu »

Thanks for clearing up this years-long query: I had never seen any reference to this feature, so didn't know if it's SM or an extension (so I didn't post this in "SM features", also).

I hope it's still in 2.57, since I find it very useful (and haven't noticed similar features in other browsers).
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

alexyu wrote: the 'box' to enter info into a form can be resized, dragging on a 'dotted triangle' in the lower rightmost corner of the box, which is very useful to fill out longer texts.
Can you give an example e.g. what kind of box, box for what, where is the box, etc.?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
hardys

Post by hardys »

alexyu wrote:I hope it's still in 2.57, since I find it very useful (and haven't noticed similar features in other browsers).
This also works with Firefox, Chrome and Edge and also SM 2.57 (just tested).
Peter Creasey wrote:Can you give an example e.g. what kind of box, box for what, where is the box, etc.?
You have only to look in the field, you just typed your question in. There is a handler in the lower rightmost corner of this box
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Interesting...thanks!
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
alexyu

Post by alexyu »

hardys wrote:
alexyu wrote:I hope it's still in 2.57, since I find it very useful (and haven't noticed similar features in other browsers).
This also works with Firefox, Chrome and Edge and also SM 2.57 (just tested).
Since I have MS Edge on another system, I can't test it, but I believe you.

That's what I find strange: That this very useful feature is never mentioned; I don't even remember how I came to learn about it.

And you can see that I'm not alone:
hardys wrote:
Peter Creasey wrote:Can you give an example e.g. what kind of box, box for what, where is the box, etc.?
You have only to look in the field, you just typed your question in. There is a handler in the lower rightmost corner of this box
Yes, that's exactly what I did, in my case.
therube

Post by therube »

Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript
alexyu

Post by alexyu »

Wow! A whole 'resizeability' tutorial right there! Thanks.

It also explains why this works on some pages and not on others (and gives hints how one could do something about it)...
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

I frankly don't understand why anyone would want to resize the box.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
alexyu

Post by alexyu »

Peter Creasey wrote:I frankly don't understand why anyone would want to resize the box.
Most frequently, for free-text boxes in forms, which don't allow you to see the full text you're trying to enter.

Try writing forum entries in a 1/4" x 1/2" box and you'll appreciate it.

It frequently feels that these too-small boxes are left that way to discourage lengthy texts inside them...
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

alexyu wrote: Most frequently, for free-text boxes in forms, which don't allow you to see the full text you're trying to enter.

Try writing forum entries in a 1/4" x 1/2" box and you'll appreciate it.

It frequently feels that these too-small boxes are left that way to discourage lengthy texts inside them...
LOL! Exactly. One site I frequent has a text box that is like 1" wide and one line tall - useless!