SM locks up while large page loads

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Justinh

SM locks up while large page loads

Post by Justinh »

SeaMonkey devs, SM locks up (can't interact with it) while a very large page (by bytes) loads, like a large TXT file (e.g., https://minohost.com.br/embyserver-63765532800.txt). Can this be fixed?

It also makes memory go thru the roof, like >2GB.
trevoz

Re: SM locks up while large page loads

Post by trevoz »

I tried your text file - on FreeBSD it used about 6G of memory for a 990MB file.

In comparison, the latest Safari on macOS used over 20G to load the same file an took abut three times as long.

Honestly, I don't think this is a common use case or indeed a very sensible thing to do - downloading the same file with SeaMonkey or Safari was a much better experience compared with trying to load it into the browser window.
Justinh

Post by Justinh »

I certainly hope I don't need to do this often :-) Firefox and Chrome don't have the lockup issue, so that is why I was asking. If it was a universal issue I wouldn't bother asking.

I don't understand why any browser would need to consume so much memory in this case - there is not even any HTML or CSS to parse.
therube

Post by therube »

Am I seeing that correctly, 958 MB?

Code: Select all

C:\TMP\SEA\millers\X>wget https://minohost.com.br/embyserver-63765532800.txt --n
o-check-certificate
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 1004862627 (958M) [text/plain] ...
Even I would consider that a bit ridiculous (to attempt to open - in any browser).
I don't understand why any browser would need to consume so much memory in this case
958 MB
Fire 750, bring back 250.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript