MozillaZine

Can I disable JavaScript for specific websites?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Stilewag

Post Posted August 25th, 2005, 9:03 am

I want to disable JavaScript for some websites. Is this possible? How can I do this?

therube

Post Posted August 25th, 2005, 10:21 am

See the section here, "Disabling All Javascript for a Site".
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/securit ... olicy.html

Might also look at the opposite. Disable JS globally, yet allow it for certain sites.

"NoScript Kills Everything That Moves!"
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=265889

Also, at some point, NoScript may have the ability to blacklist individual sites.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420 SeaMonkey/2.0.14 Pinball CopyURL+ FetchTextURL FlashGot NoScript

Eyes-Only

Post Posted August 25th, 2005, 3:28 pm

Hi Stilewag,

Another way to disable javascript on a page-by-page basis would be to get and install the Preference Bar extension if using Mozilla Suite. I believe it works all the way up to version 1.7.11 of the Suite anyway. :) If using SeaMonkey it's anyone's guess if it'll work. I orginally had the July 8th version and it didn't so I had to uninstall it. Not sure if it does in the August 12th or not. Maybe someone else knows?

You can find Preference Bar here: http://prefbar.mozdev.org/ I personally use this in all my Mozilla installs and love it! One of the most useful powertools I've ever installed.

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
--
"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a person in need and heal them." KDpup-484, LucidPup-511, SM2+/FX4+/TB31+

Stilewag

Post Posted September 3rd, 2005, 4:05 am

Thank you.

I edited prefs.js and managed to disable JavaScript for the sites that I wanted (for Google actually: when JavaScript was enabled, the links that Google offered contained some kind of re-direct and made them very very long)

I already have Prefbar. I couldn't live without it! :) It works fine with Suite 1.7.11. I have been using it since 1.7.1 if I recall well. I never noticed disabling JavaScript for specific websites. I will check for the newest version.

Eyes-Only

Post Posted September 3rd, 2005, 7:24 pm

Hi Stilewag!

Yes, in the last few versions of Prefbar if you click on "customise" (I believe you can also right-click on the bar and bring up the GUI to select "customise" as well?) a GUI box comes up which allows you to add/subtract whatever features you wish to the bar. I always make sure that "javascript" and "java" go on there so I can disable that, along with "popups" so I can enable those for the websites where I need them, flash, fonts, etc. I wished they had something like this PrefBar for the email as well. Would come in handy for turning images off/on, fonts, animations, html/text, etc., all without having to go to the menubar. They have these as extensions in TBird of course. One thing I miss in the Suite/SeaMonkey.

Oh well... as we say in French, "Rien est parfait!" (Nothing's perfect!) I'm sure you have something comparable in Greek. ;)

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
--
"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a person in need and heal them." KDpup-484, LucidPup-511, SM2+/FX4+/TB31+

BenoitRen

Post Posted September 4th, 2005, 9:10 am

so I can disable that, along with "popups" so I can enable those for the websites where I need them

Edit > Preferences > Privacy & Security > Popup Windows > Allowed Sites...

Eyes-Only

Post Posted September 4th, 2005, 11:13 am

That's true BenoitRen... but I'm soooo lazy. ;) Easier to just tick/untick a GUI at the top of the page before entering the site OR unticking and refreshing the page. héhé

And for the record: I found out last night that the Preference Bar does work on the 08/12 version of SeaMonkey 1.0a. It didn't on the 07/05 or 07/08 build (it broke SM). Nice to see it working now! So you don't have to go into the preferences quite as often when in browser mode---just email mode. -sigh-

Amicalement mes amis,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"
--

BenoitRen

Post Posted September 4th, 2005, 1:14 pm

I was under the impression that you were talking about PrefBar having an option that lists the allowed sites, but after having re-read your post, I think I misread. :)

raid517

Post Posted January 18th, 2012, 7:02 am

Yeah is there an extension that allows you to enable or disable certain features on a site by site basis, and have those sites be remembered, so that the user preferences for each site I visit are automatically loaded? Pref bar doesn't do that at all. It requires you to check and unchecked boxes and reload the page.

sal magundi

Post Posted January 18th, 2012, 9:29 am

therube wrote:Might also look at the opposite. Disable JS globally, yet allow it for certain sites.

viewtopic.php?t=265889

right, that's how i do it.

hanz123

Post Posted January 30th, 2012, 3:22 am

therube wrote:See the section here, "Disabling All Javascript for a Site".
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/securit ... olicy.html

Might also look at the opposite. Disable JS globally, yet allow it for certain sites.

viewtopic.php?t=265889

Also, at some point, NoScript may have the ability to blacklist individual sites.

Excellent, been looking for similar for ages!

Return to SeaMonkey General