SeaMonkey risk level?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Peter Creasey

SeaMonkey risk level?

Post by Peter Creasey »

What is the risk level of using SeaMonkey compared to other browsers?

Opinions and details?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Snake4

Re: SeaMonkey risk level?

Post by Snake4 »

of what? security? try to be clear what you mean
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Risk level of incurring: (i) security issues; (iiI) what happened with Apple/Ventura, (iii) etc., etc. with SeaMonkey compared with risk level with other browsers. Just risk level in general of being a SeaMonkey user versus other browsers.
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Peter Creasey wrote:Risk level of incurring: (i) security issues; (iiI) what happened with Apple/Ventura, (iii) etc., etc. with SeaMonkey compared with risk level with other browsers. Just risk level in general of being a SeaMonkey user versus other browsers.
That’s just too vague and general a question for a real answer.
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

Dan, okay, I'll try again. I'm a big supporter of SeaMonkey. I don't know if this is true or not -- some people elsewhere point to the Apple/Ventura debacle and say it shows the shortcomings of SeaMonkey not have having support personnel who should have been in the loop so that SeaMonkey was ready just as other browsers apparently were.

Is SeaMonkey staying current on updates pertaining to security?

What are we as SeaMonkey users possibly sacrificing in the way of security by using SeaMonkey versus other browser(s)?

Is this good enough?
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
kjojo

Post by kjojo »

While the problems with SeaMonkey and Ventura have nothing to do with security, and "some people" find SeaMonkey's mere existence and continued development to be irritating and miss no opportunity to share their irritation, I do understand there may be some concern.

However, if this particular instance is illuminating about anything, it's Apple's attitude towards third-party devs. Back in the 'classic' days, they were overjoyed anyone was interested in developing for something with such a small market share. They held conferences, parties, and handed out awards (same goes for those willing to sell their product). But suddenly, with the launch of OSX, their attitude cooled considerably. Nowadays, I would call it out and out hostile (not to mention they all but iced out third party retailers). "Oh, your browser doesn't work with our new OS? I guess people will just have to use Safari" -- discussion ended.

My hat is off to anyone continuing to develop for Apple in 2022. They have far more patience for ignored emails, dismissive responses, and an all-encompassing feeling of being unwanted than I.

And sure, "Google doesn't seem to have any problems". Well... I'm sure Apple can find time to drop them a "Hey, you may want to make sure your stuff works on our new os" memo in order to avoid 99% of their customers being unable to use the internet. That's just how those things work...
Last edited by kjojo on November 10th, 2022, 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElTxolo

Post by ElTxolo »

Peter Creasey wrote: [....] some people elsewhere point to the Apple/Ventura debacle and say it shows the shortcomings of SeaMonkey not have having support personnel who should have been in the loop so that SeaMonkey was ready just as other browsers apparently were.
  • FUD
Peter Creasey wrote:
[....] Is SeaMonkey staying current on updates pertaining to security?
  • Image You should read the Release Notes:
    [b]What's New in SeaMonkey 2.53.14[/b] wrote:
    SeaMonkey 2.53.14 uses the same backend as Firefox and contains the relevant Firefox 60.8 security fixes.

SeaMonkey 2.53.14 shares most parts of the mail and news code with Thunderbird. Please read the Thunderbird 60.8.0 release notes for specific security fixes in this release.

Additional important security fixes up to Current Firefox 91.11 and Thunderbird 91.11 ESR
    plus many enhancements have been backported.

We will continue to enhance SeaMonkey security in subsequent 2.53.x beta and release versions as fast as we are able to
Peter Creasey wrote: [....] What are we as SeaMonkey users possibly sacrificing in the way of security by using SeaMonkey versus other browser(s)?
  • Image Absolutely NOTHING ....

How to Ask Questions The Smart Way - How to Report Bugs Effectively ;)
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240109 SeaMonkey/2.53.18.1
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:91.0) Gecko/20240324 SeaMonkey/2.53.19 :lildevil:

~
4td8s

Post by 4td8s »

well said ElTxolo :D
Peter Creasey wrote: What are we as SeaMonkey users possibly sacrificing in the way of security by using SeaMonkey versus other browser(s)?
don't mean nuthin' to me. are you paranoid about this?
Peter Creasey

Post by Peter Creasey »

No paranoia. Just important to inquire. As Mark Twain said, "It is amazing what you can learn by finding out".
. . . . . . . . . . Pete
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Peter Creasey wrote:As Mark Twain said, "It is amazing what you can learn by finding out".
Yeah? As they say in Missouri "Show me."

http://www.twainquotes.com/index.html
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)
Anonymosity

Post by Anonymosity »

ElTxolo wrote: SeaMonkey 2.53.14 uses the same backend as Firefox and contains the relevant Firefox 60.8 security fixes.

SeaMonkey 2.53.14 shares most parts of the mail and news code with Thunderbird. Please read the Thunderbird 60.8.0 release notes for specific security fixes in this release.

Additional important security fixes up to Current Firefox 91.11 and Thunderbird 91.11 ESR
plus many enhancements have been backported.

We will continue to enhance SeaMonkey security in subsequent 2.53.x beta and release versions as fast as we are able to.

Why does that say that it has the backend of Firefox 60.8 whereas the user-agent says it is equivalent to Firefox 68.0?
Frank Lion

Post by Frank Lion »

Anonymosity wrote: Why does that say that it has the backend of Firefox 60.8 whereas the user-agent says it is equivalent to Firefox 68.0?
Because the user agent is wrong and it'll be wrong when it says Firefox 91.0 in due course, as well. It's done for better Web Compatibility support.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke (attrib.)