Mozilla Website in xhtml

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
moronicbajebus

Mozilla Website in xhtml

Post by moronicbajebus »

Why does mozilla.org not build their site in xhtml and css? They have built a browser that renders xhtml and css great and follows the W3C guidelines.

I would be willing to help and I know there are a lot of other people willing to help too.
WillyWonka

Post by WillyWonka »

Well, if you aren't using Mozilla then how would you see the page? :)
whiprush

Post by whiprush »

WillyWonka wrote:Well, if you aren't using Mozilla then how would you see the page? :)

As long as some concessions are made for IE in the CSS, it would like fine in both browsers.

Check out <a href="http://www.wirednews.com">Wired News</a>, they recently moved to a CSS/XHTML layout and it looks good in either browser.
moronicbajebus

Post by moronicbajebus »

Mozilla.org's main page is a simple page. IE and Opera would both be able to handle it.
Shark Daddy

Post by Shark Daddy »

You mean XHTML as text/html? Not only is there no point, but there would be unneeded time and effort put into converting it, plus error-handling XHTML is harder. Not to mention it should be sent as application/xhtml+xml (which IE hates).
The Chosen One has spoken (you may resume your disorder).
moronicbajebus

Post by moronicbajebus »

Shark Daddy wrote: Not only is there no point, but there would be unneeded time and effort put into converting it

What is the point in building Mozilla? We all ready have IE so why bother building a better browser? We all ready have HTML 1.0, why then HTML 2.0? :D
xah

it's for other browsers

Post by xah »

If someone is visiting Mozilla.org for the first time, they won't be using Mozilla. Thus, Mozilla.org should make every attempt to work with every browser out there.

XHTML would be fine as long the page can still be read in other browsers.
johann_p

Why use XHTML?

Post by johann_p »

I do not see any reason why to use XHTML in that case. The only reason I see to ever
use XHTML is when you want your HTML page be usable as a XML document, e.g. when
you have a program that can only generate XML or you want to process the pages
with some app that takes XML as input. For browsing there is not only no point in
switching it will also make it harder to make the site usable with as many browsers as
possible.