How do I get rid of POSTDATA confirm box?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
cyndygail

Post by cyndygail »

I opened a new thread on this and said, after a huge amount of frustration that, " if I see that postdata box again I would switch back to ie" and was then told by a firefox developer? "see ya." Way to go Firefox. Can't someone just fix it instead of telling the user that they honestly could care less if you switch back to ie.
Dartman

Post by Dartman »

cyndygail,

You are already being helped in another thread that you started. You posted this complaint in SeaMonkey forum. SeaMonkey is NOT Firefox. Also, there are no Firefox developers here. We are all volunteers.

Continue your discussion in the previous thread that you started.
Alcohol and Calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.
wjglenn

Re: ::SOLUTION::

Post by wjglenn »

MathewC wrote:<b>SOLUTION</b>

Okay,

1. Open a new tab
2. type: about:config into the address bar and hit enter
3. type "postdata" into the filter bar. You should see "broswer.sessionstore.postdata"
4. Double click it and change the value from the default "0" to "1"

Okay. So, there are only certain sites (especially online gaming sites like Travian) where I need the postdata warnings not to come up all the time. Is there a way to create a toolbar button that toggles this setting between 1 and 0? That way, I could leave it enabled most of the time and disable it when I wanted to. Or am I way off base here?
wjglenn

Post by wjglenn »

Nevermind. It didn't work anyway - at least not in Travian.
input

Post by input »

The VirusTotal scan result of you****tard's ffloader looks pretty interesting...
http://www.virustotal.com/resultado.htm ... 1bd3b96691
Do you really think it's a good idea to install an executable file from a website with the name "you****tard"??

I'm using a (clean) shareware program which automatically clicks the OK button whenever the postdata dialog appears. It works perfectly on my computer with windows xp and firefox 2.0.0.11:

Nags Away! 2.2 http://www.heise.de/software/download/nags_away/2828

I have written a little guide, just in case anyone wants to give it a try. As far as i know the program is only available in german language :-(

1. Download and install Nags Away
http://www.fs.tum.de/~echtler/matrix/so ... away22.zip

2. Open "NagsAway.exe"

3. Doubleclick its tray icon to open the Nags Away main window

4. Surf with Firefox until the postdata confirmation dialog appears (don't click anything, just keep it open)

5. Go back to Nags Away and click the "Neu" button:

6. In the following window...
- click on "Confirm"
- choose "als Tastatureingabe senden"
- enter a # in the box on the right side of the window
- click on "OK"

7. In the Nags Away main window click on "OK"
(Milliseconds after clicking "OK" the firefox postdata confirmation dialog should disappear)

8. Done

Additional infos:
- Nags Away! does not change or modify anthing within firefox. It just clicks OK whenever the postdata dialog appears.
- It may be better do disable Nags Away (right-click on tray icon and choose "Aktiv") before surfing on shopping-, email- and online banking sites. Because it's not always a good idea to resend postdata.
- If you want to automatically run Nags Away after systemstart, just drag NagsAway.exe into the Autostart folder in your startmenu.
- Nags Away! is shareware with a 30 days trial periode. It costs 5 €.

Edit: This utility should also work with Seamonkey and any other program which drops "nag screens".

Language edited by Dartman (Moderator)
Stormy1

Post by Stormy1 »

What I'd like to know is, why I always receive the postdata message on my PC, but when I do the same action on my mother's PC, she rarely, if at all, gets the message (and the page goes back without reloading) which is bliss if you're on very slow and painful dial-up. Why is that?
zooplah

Re: I don't buy Porsche ...

Post by zooplah »

kurgbe wrote:Concerning the W3 standard, I think we should take a pragmatic approach: Mozilla should support W3C standards and also dominant practices on the Web. If not people will go away from Mozilla.

Well, this really has nothing to do with de factor vs. de jure standards. It sounds like this was more a parroted response than a researched one. The fact is that POST data shouldn't be cached. But I know from personal experience, that it's frequently used on HTTPS sites. Now, I don't think anyone could be convinced that caching HTTPS sites is a good idea, regardless of whether M$ does it or not.
input

Post by input »

Stormy1 wrote:What I'd like to know is, why I always receive the postdata message on my PC, but when I do the same action on my mother's PC, she rarely, if at all, gets the message (and the page goes back without reloading) which is bliss if you're on very slow and painful dial-up. Why is that?

Do you have the safecache addon installed on your pc? With this addon you will get much more postdata nags.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1474
xoc

Post by xoc »

This situation is what happens when UI design is ignored and the simplest technical solution is just hacked together. Its OK for an alpha version, but not version 2 of production software. Firefox is so far in front of IE, it breaks my heart to see something like this that IE handles better (at least from a user's perspective).

While a modal dialog box popping up in the middle of surfing is a *terrible* UI sin, I think the real bug is in the definition of what the 'Back' button does.

The most intuitive interpretation of the 'Back' button is that brings up exactly what you were previously looking it - ie it re-displays the last page from cache. Re-requesting the page at the address previously requested is the bug. This way, returning to a page previously displayed would not send any messages to the server (so there would be no danger of submitting duplicates). If the page is marked as 'do not cache', then do not cache it! The 'Back' button should take you back to the most recently _cached_ page. No need to pop up a useless technical (or otherwise) message that doesn't even allow you to make a choice.

Intuitive, simple and workable.
postdatadialog

Re: How do I get rid of POSTDATA confirm box?

Post by postdatadialog »

The page you are trying to view contains POSTDATA ........and there is nothing you can or ever will be able to do about it.
FYI ******** is not going to help you
Bugzilla isnt going to help you https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=160144
There is no setting you can change in tools/options that will make it go away
You cant disable it with about:config IVE BEEN TRYING FOR YEARS
$100 in your paypal account to the first person that can fix the greatest annoyance that is POST DATA DIALOG
James

Post by James »

All you did was spam the bug with useless comments and did not help. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html

postdatadialog, you are continuing to do harm in getting the bug fixed/worked on by posting the useless comments you have posted so far.
clydesdale

Post by clydesdale »

You have to change the value of browser.sessionstore.postdata to -1, not 1
James

Post by James »

This thread is rather old now as it was started way back in December 2003. Also people are bumping it every while to gripe about this and at times discussing Firefox when this is SeaMonkey General, not Firefox General.

Start a new thread if need be. Also this forum is independent of Mozilla so the chances of any devs (especially for Firefox) seeing seeing this is slim.