Display Question

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
navidazizi

Display Question

Post by navidazizi »

I have a Pentium III 450Mhz, win Win2K. When I open Mozilla and have another window (say a Task Manager window) in front of the Mozilla window, and start dragging it around, my CPU utilization goes really high, and the window takes time to redraw.

If, however, I drag the Task Manager window in front of another application window (say Netscape 4.x), then the window dragging is smooth, and CPU utlization remains low.

Does anyone know if this is a systerm problem, or this a result of how Mozilla draws to the screen.

Thanks
Kommet

Well...

Post by Kommet »

While I do see this in Mozilla, I also see it in IE and in fact in EVERY app I've tested (which is only about 6).
My question is, why does it matter that Mozilla eats CPU when you open the task manager and then swing Mozilla around? How often do you need to do this?
navidazizi

Re: Supply Question

Post by navidazizi »

It's just an experiment showing that Mozilla is very slow when it comes to refresh, be it when it needs to redraw graphics when a window appears in front of it, or when a new page is reloading. For example, when I load a new page, the mouse stops working for a second, and I believe this is because Mozilla is drawing to the screen in a way that is different than most apps.

The difference in CPU utlization for dragging a window over Mozilla or over IE is 72% to 6%.

I'm wondering if a windows or graphics card setting has anything to do with this.