WinXP crashes with an ATI video card?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
oliversl

WinXP crashes with an ATI video card?

Post by oliversl »

Hi,
in the past, Mozilla was able to crash WinXP when scrolling if you had and ATI video card.
In the 12-set-2002 ATI driver, the problem was solved.
But, I still have some WinXP crashes when using Mozilla and an ATI video card (Radeon 7500)
Anyone having this problem too?
Thanks
old jasonb

Post by old jasonb »

While the Catalyst 2.3 drivers (6166) are better they still cause intermittent crashes (despite ATI's claim to the contrary).

I'm currently using the old 6058 drivers without any crashes. (Everytime ATI puts out new drivers I try them - but, so far, I've always gone back to 6058.)
oliversl

Post by oliversl »

Catalyst 0.2.4 is out.
I'm trying that driver right now.
JLP

No problems here

Post by JLP »

I had problems with crashing when using drivers Catalyst 2.2 only. No problems with other drivers, including Catalyst 2.3 and the new 2.4. I'm using Windows XP with SP1 and ATI Radeon 8500 64MB (Built by ATI, not overclocked).
Live long and prosper!
mozDude

Post by mozDude »

I have an ATI AIW Radeon card and whenever I use XP SP1, it has to crash my system within about 30 mins. XP SP1 handles the infinite loop crash much better just xp. It would still "crash", but it goes down to 4-bit 640x480 display instead of restarting! At least i dont loose any data. I have to restart though. Sucks.

I have tried all the drivers the ATI has put out with the same result: crash within 30 mins of use everytime! The only driver version I found reasonably stable was .6013. I dont have this problem on Windows 2000 Pro. So I am switching back to 2000. I have heard other cards having the "Device driver stuck in loop" error. I aint buying another card just coz XP doesnt like my card. Screw XP

I have had crashes with scrolling in Mozilla on XP, but i dont think it's Mozilla that is the problem. I found that reducing the harware acceleration seems to help, but causes the graphic display to slow down to a ridiculous level. I think it has somethign to do with the cursor and mouse acceleration setting or something. That is what the hardware acceleration disables.

I tried the latest "catalyst" drivers and that did not help either. I have read in VIa's site that the problem could be caused by several things varying from memory, power suppply issues, etc.
My system profile:
============
Tyan Tiger 1834
Dual P3 800MHz
Via Apollo chipset
ATI AIW Radeon 4x AGP
oliversl

Post by oliversl »

Confirmed,
Catalyst 2.4 and Mozilla crash WinXP.
It is ATI's fault, like in the past, and happend when you scroll with the wheel of an USB mouse, also, like in the past.
:-(