Your opinion: Firefox+Thunderbird or Mozilla Suite?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
offmdan

Post by offmdan »

Tend to prefer Mozilla over FX

Starts up just as well as FX (even without quick lauch) ;

Sidebar is still there (why couldn't they keep it in FX? you just hide it if you don't need it) ;

Find that pages render quicker in Mozilla than FX.

Do however regret one thing. Everytime you download a nightly or beta you can't get any of the skins to work with it. Not so with Opera!
DaComboMan
storm119

Post by storm119 »

offmdan wrote:Do however regret one thing. Everytime you download a nightly or beta you can't get any of the skins to work with it. Not so with Opera!

Meaning...???

If you referring to Suite...then i guess you wrong.As far as i can see i'm using most of time nightly optimised build without any problem (skins).If you can see my sig i never update my modding theme since April and still working great with nightly latest build.:)
mezziah

Post by mezziah »

Yes... the themes thing is really annoying. It's possibly the reason why there are not that much themes for Mozilla.
What will happen next? You never know.
ZookQValem

Post by ZookQValem »

Mezziah wrote:Yes... the themes thing is really annoying. It's possibly the reason why there are not that much themes for Mozilla.

Sure there are many themes available for Mozilla to choose from. Just go to the whatever websites out there and choose a theme you like. As for me, I'm sticking with the default theme 'cause I like it better.
offmdan

Post by offmdan »

Whenever a new build comes out, it always takes a while before any of the previous themes (except for standard) can work with it.

Now you have themes that work for FX but don't for Mozilla and vice-versa.

Opera doesn't have that problem.
DaComboMan
mezziah

Re: ...

Post by mezziah »

ZookQValem wrote:
Mezziah wrote:Yes... the themes thing is really annoying. It's possibly the reason why there are not that much themes for Mozilla.

Sure there are many themes available for Mozilla to choose from. Just go to the whatever websites out there and choose a theme you like. As for me, I'm sticking with the default theme 'cause I like it better.

You're right, but you forgot that 1.5 themes won't work with 1.6 and 1.6 themes not with 1.7 and so on... this is what I meant.
ZookQValem

Post by ZookQValem »

Oh, right...
Sentinel

Post by Sentinel »

Dunderklumpen wrote:I would say the Mozilla Suite (this week). Add the Qute theme and Multizilla and you have the perfect tool.
Then again - I frequently switch back and forth from Thunderbird/Firefox.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that. Both are great in different ways, and I can never seem to choose one.
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

Sentinel wrote:
Dunderklumpen wrote:I would say the Mozilla Suite (this week). Add the Qute theme and Multizilla and you have the perfect tool.
Then again - I frequently switch back and forth from Thunderbird/Firefox.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that does that. Both are great in different ways, and I can never seem to choose one.

:-)

Then again - it is really nice to be able to switch and to do it quite fast and easily - keeping mail and others things intact..
tomdkat

Post by tomdkat »

I've been using both the suite and Firefox/Thunderbird on Linux and Windows for a while now. I've switched to Thunderbird for e-mail on both platforms mainly due to the themes and extensions I can easily install. I use Mozilla Navigator as a backup to Firefox since ti provides a bit more stability for me. If I encounter a site that causes Firefox to crash, chances are great Navigator won't.

I really like Firefox's themes and extensions but I do prefer Navigator's password manager and it's option panel options. For example, with Navigator I can specify the location and size of my cache. I can specify the size in Firefox and I don't cae about where it's located. However, in Navigator I can control how often pages are compared to the versions on the server which I can't do with Firefox, unless I have to install yet another extension to provide this capability today.

Navigator gives me access to the Java console, which I use on Linux somewhat frequently which isn't available to me in Firefox on Linux (at least not yet).

I do like the use of GTK2 in Firefox on Linux and I like the way Firefox renders fonts and pages. However, generally speaking Firefox is a bit too "IE-ish" for me. Even where the Options are located (under Tools) is just like IE. That might be cool on Windows but if I'm running Firefox on Linux why do I care about IE-isms? I can understand familiarity and stuff but I've mostly been a Netscape user so I don't have any IE "habits" I'm interested in supporting or maintaining.

My vote will be out until Firefox 1.0 is out. Right now, when I work on someone's computer I install Mozilla 1.6 first (since it's officially released) and Firefox 0.8 as something for them to try with Mozilla (suite) being the backup.

Peace...
Thumper's Evil Twin

Post by Thumper's Evil Twin »

tomdkat wrote:That might be cool on Windows but if I'm running Firefox on Linux why do I care about IE-isms?

For a start, if you're running KDE then Tools -> Options is basically in the same place as Settings -> Options is on Kapps. GNOME gets this one wrong, basically.

- Chris
tomdkat

Post by tomdkat »

Thumper wrote:
tomdkat wrote:That might be cool on Windows but if I'm running Firefox on Linux why do I care about IE-isms?

For a start, if you're running KDE then Tools -> Options is basically in the same place as Settings -> Options is on Kapps. GNOME gets this one wrong, basically.
I don't run KDE or GNOME at all and I run Enlightenment, WindowMaker, or AfterStep alone. :)

Peace...
TrickyBuddha

Post by TrickyBuddha »

I prefer FireFox 0.8 to Mozilla 1.7 RC2.

* I like being able to right-click the objects in my favorites folder.
* I like being able to double-click the tab bar to open a new tab.
* I like everything opening up in tabs.
* I like having a graphical "X" on each tab, so that I can quickly close tabbed windows.
* I know it's an illusion, but FireFox's page appears bigger to me - maybe because the individual toolbars are less tall.
* I don't need a second e-mail client, so the Suite aspect isn't an influence.
* I like how customizable FireFox appears to be, as compared with how non-customizable 1.7RC2 seems to be. I can, for example, move my tab bar to the bottom of the screen.
* I admit the modern theme is pretty sexy for Mozilla 1.7, and gets points over FireFox.

Ah well. Both browsers are nice, but I prefer FireFox 0.8. :D
Dunderklumpen

Post by Dunderklumpen »

One word: Multizilla

Then you will have several of the functions above and if you add a theme with small icons you will also get a browser not taking up as much space.

Not arguing here - just saying that you can get a closing button on each tab, open any link in a tab, switch places for the tabs and much more.

Check out this list of features:

http://multizilla.mozdev.org/features/index.html
Kalyan

Post by Kalyan »

For me Firefox was more convenient because I only needed the browser. I didn't want the other parts of the suite. When I uninstalled the Netscape suite I reclaimed 100MB disk space and Firefox took up just 17MB. Firefox also started faster and has less clutter and bloat. I only choose the extensions as and when I want. (However they should provide an extension uninstaller or make it easy to do manually).

I just wish they would DO AWAY with the windows installer and just give me the good old zip (with a self extractor if required).