Your opinion: Firefox+Thunderbird or Mozilla Suite?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
Rob_Stow

Post by Rob_Stow »

BenoitRen wrote:
Mezziah wrote:Oh, once you get a... say 21" monitor, you will say that a 15" and probably also a 17" monitor is small.

That's not my point. It's as if you're saying that a 15" monitor is small and shouldn't be used, and that having toolbars on your screen affects how much the toolbars bother you or not.

Well, I started this latest divergence with the "I only have a 17" monitor" comment, so I'll chime in again at this juncture.

The first and foremost purpose of Mozilla and Firefox is to display web pages. If you clutter up the screen with needless widgets and doodads, you reduce the applications' ability to fulfill their primary purpose because you are wasting screen space to display widgets instead of displaying web pages.

On a 17" CRT monitor the actual usable screen height it only 9.5". I already give up 1.5 inches just for the title bar of the window, the main menu bar, the status bar, and the task bar. Down to only 8" left to display the web pages. And when you consider that I almost always have several pages open I hence lose another half inch to display the tab bar - down to only 7.5" now. If I use Mozilla instead of Firefox, then I can't put the buttons I need on the menubar and I hence have to have at least one toolbar - and another half inch of valuable vertical screen space is thrown away, bring me down to only 7" for displaying web pages.
old dn15

Post by old dn15 »

Mezziah wrote:Someone needs to make a poll then. It seems that the suite is more popular than Firefox :)

Just an educated guess: While Firefox is responsible for attracting lots of new people to Mozilla products, I think the majority of the users in these forums are more geeky (in the best way possible), and the suite tends to have the features that those kinds of people care about. For example, the Tools menu with its Cookie Manager, Popup Manager, etc. So looking at the big picture Firefox may be more popular even if the suite is what many MozillaZine forum members tend to use themselves.
Thumper's Evil Twin

Post by Thumper's Evil Twin »

dn15 wrote:Just an educated guess: While Firefox is responsible for attracting lots of new people to Mozilla products, I think the majority of the users in these forums are more geeky (in the best way possible), and the suite tends to have the features that those kinds of people care about.

No. The only reason Mozilla's polling ahead is because this is the Mozilla General board. If this was asked in Firefox General then result would be different. Conclusion: don't expect accurate results in partisan forums.

- Chris
mezziah

Post by mezziah »

Thumper wrote:
dn15 wrote:Just an educated guess: While Firefox is responsible for attracting lots of new people to Mozilla products, I think the majority of the users in these forums are more geeky (in the best way possible), and the suite tends to have the features that those kinds of people care about.

No. The only reason Mozilla's polling ahead is because this is the Mozilla General board. If this was asked in Firefox General then result would be different. Conclusion: don't expect accurate results in partisan forums.

- Chris

I think different, but let's see. I made a poll in MZ AfterDark and I'm curious about the voting.
What will happen next? You never know.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

I see your point, Rob_Stow.

Personally I just use Ctrl+T to make a new tab, though. No button needed.
Paul

Post by Paul »

No button to create a new tab??? I am using the suite on Mac OS X and there is a button present to create a new tab. Open a tab(s) and check the left side of the first tab--viola! there is the open a new tab button. For those who still do not see it--the open a new tab is the small icon drawn as a small circle on top of what looks like a typed piece of paper (at least in the default theme for MacOS X.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen »

I don't think that's what they want. They want to be able to have the button on a toolbar.
morphis

Post by morphis »

I just tried the suite and found this is one of THE DOWNSIDEs of the suite comparing with fx.

Plus, I found fx is obviously more responsive.

Rob_Stow wrote:
Dunderklumpen wrote:Get Multizilla - you then can have a button that will
create a new tab for you in the toolbar.

... With Mozilla, this is not an option because toolbar and menubar customizability is essentially non-existent.
Hangnail

Post by Hangnail »

I prefer the suite on all platforms but Mac. Primarily because you have to install EVERYTHING or NOTHING on OSX, while other platforms have a selectable installer (think this is a known 'wont fix' issue). I still use the suite on OSX over firefox ... I just accept the chat and composer gathering dust on my hard drive ...

What I would like to see with Fox and bird is have thunderbird as an extension to firefox, that way we don't have two gecko engines running etc. They both complement each other. Seems kind of odd that they are becoming so split when they come from the same roots ...

Just an observation.

--
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you recognize a mistakewhen you make it again. - F. P. Jones