how to setup mozilla for multiple users on windows 2000?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
nebben123

how to setup mozilla for multiple users on windows 2000?

Post by nebben123 »

I'm trying to setup a default configuration of Mozilla so that when a new user starts it up they have the following stuff already taken care of:

- the theme is "gray modern" (already installed) instead of "classic"
- the sidebar is off
- the personal toolbar is off
- hide tabs is off
- homepage is set to http://google.com
- proxy server is set to 192.168.0.1 port 80
- disk cache is set at 4500
- SSL warnings are turned off

etc.

I tried editing the "all.js" in Program Files/mozilla.org/Mozilla/defaults/pref by changing the values of some prefs, and adding in prefs from my user.js file (changing them from user_pref to pref). But this only changed a couple of the preferences. Some, like the proxy server and homepage, were still not filled in by default (I guess these are only read from user.js?).

Also I tried editing the chrome.rdf file to change it to show Gray Modern by default, but it only halfway worked (some stuff did not look right).

Does anyone know how to set this up? I need to get some sort of default config going, because in my opinion the state that Mozilla starts in with almost everything activated (sidebar, personal toolbar, print button, etc) is very confusing. And the classic theme is UGLY.

Maybe I am going about this the wrong way and there is something easier I am overlooking.

Surely this can't be too difficult to do?

Thanks,
Ben
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

Hi,

I'm not sure if it will work with Mozilla, but the Netscape client customization kit may be able to do what you are looking for.

Gunnar
http://mozilla.gunnars.net - The Mozilla Help Site
bim

Post by bim »

Maybe you should copy some sort of "default" profile folder for every new user?
nebben123

Post by nebben123 »

bim wrote:Maybe you should copy some sort of "default" profile folder for every new user?

That would work but it would be a major pain. I'd have to copy this default profile for every new user that logged onto the computer. There has got to be a better way.

Ben