Can it be turned off?

Discussion of general topics about Seamonkey
spike

Can it be turned off?

Post by spike »

Is there any way to turn off the splash screen for Mozilla?

When I start Mozilla, it takes a very long time for the splash screen to go away and for the actual browser to start up. (At this time, I can't keep Mozilla in memory in my system tray because I don't have enough memory to go around. I only have 64MB of RAM).

I am using Mozilla 1.3a

Just testing some editing stuff. Ignore me.
Windows XP / NTFS file system /384 MB of RAM / AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 748 MHz
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

It can be turned off by running mozilla with the -nosplash parameter, but I highly doubt that it will make startup faster. Your bottleneck is running XP on a 64 MB system.
spike

Post by spike »

laszlo wrote:It can be turned off by running mozilla with the -nosplash parameter

How do I program the nosplash parameter?
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

You should have a Mozilla shortcut icon on your desktop. Right-click, choose Properties, then the Shortcut Tab. Add " -nosplash" (without the quotes) to the Target entry field. I'm not on XP right now, but this should about be the procedure.
spike

Post by spike »

laszlo wrote:You should have a Mozilla shortcut icon on your desktop. Right-click, choose Properties, then the Shortcut Tab. Add " -nosplash" (without the quotes) to the Target entry field. I'm not on XP right now, but this should about be the procedure.

I tried it but it didn't work. I got an error message saying that it wasn't a valid command.

I guess in doesn't work on XP yet.

But thank you anyway.
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

Oh, it will work :wink: It would have to be something like "C:\Applications\Mozilla\mozilla.exe -nosplash". Notice the space between "mozilla.exe" and "-noplash".
mfk

Or...

Post by mfk »

Make a 1x1 MOZILLA.BMP image, and make it the same colour as your desktop's background. Drop MOZILLA.BMP into your Mozilla executable directory.
Alex Bishop
mozillaZine Admin

Post by Alex Bishop »

spike wrote:
laszlo wrote:You should have a Mozilla shortcut icon on your desktop. Right-click, choose Properties, then the Shortcut Tab. Add " -nosplash" (without the quotes) to the Target entry field. I'm not on XP right now, but this should about be the procedure.

I tried it but it didn't work. I got an error message saying that it wasn't a valid command.

I guess in doesn't work on XP yet.

But thank you anyway.

You've got to make sure you get the quotes right - Win32 uses quote marks around long filenames but not around parameters. Your complete Target field should be something like this:

"C:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\Mozilla.exe" -nosplash

If -nosplash doesn't work, try -quiet.
Alex
laszlo

Post by laszlo »

That's much better, Alex, I didn't think of that (I'm on a german version of NT4 without spaces in the default paths at the moment).
spike

Post by spike »

laszlo wrote:Notice the space between "mozilla.exe" and "-noplash".

Well, that is most certainly what I was doing wrong when I tried it before: (I didn't put a space between it).

I just tried it again just now with a space between it this time, and now it works.

Thank you very much guys for all your help.