Eudora 8 incoming mail button

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
DonJudd

Eudora 8 incoming mail button

Post by DonJudd »

After a Windows 10 update last week, I have had to rebuild Eudora 8. The last thing that needs changed in the Incoming Mail button. Previously, when I clicked it, I immediately got my mail messages from my ISP. Now it doesn't work and I have to click the arrow beside it and click my e-mail address. Please advise how to change it back so that I only have to click the main button. I have verified that ALL settings in Account Settings and Options are identical to those in a working version, also in Windows 10. The problem is unique to the Incoming Mail button settings but I need instructions on how to put it back the way that it was because nothing is obvious to me.

Thanks
Daifne

Re: Eudora 8 incoming mail button

Post by Daifne »

Moving to Thunderbird Support
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're asking about Eudora but have posted on a support forum for Thunderbird. Which are you actually using?
DonJudd

Post by DonJudd »

My understanding is that Eudora is tied to Thunderbird. If this is not true for this type of question, please advise where I can get Eudora 8 Beta 9, Windows 10 help for my problem.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

Eudora 8 is "based on" Thunderbird but I'm not aware of what changes they may have made to it to make it Eudora rather than just Thunderbird.

If there is a menu path Help->Restart with Addons disabled, you might try that to see if clicking on the button works as before.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Eudora

Eudora 8 (called Eudora OSE) was released Sept 13, 2010. Its been a dead product for many years. I don't think even the old Qualcomm Eudora forums are still available. See https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... 9WFHxu8Evk

Eudora OSE is based on Thunderbird 3.0.4 source code (3.0.4 was released March 30, 2010) and includes a Penelope extension. Thunderbird is currently at 52.2.0. Almost all of the Eudora specific features are in the Penelope extension. The Penelope extension is no longer available from https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/. It never caught on since it didn't add what originally attracted people to Eudora. I suggest you switch to Thunderbird and import your mail and address books. See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_fro ... hunderbird . If you have IMAP accounts you don't need to import/migrate that accounts mail since its still stored on the IMAP server.

If you want to stick with Eudora 8 I suggest you backup your profile, write down the local directory setting for each account (in the server settings) move prefs.js somewhere safe, and then use the new account wizard to add your accounts again. That way you will start with fresh account and global settings, while keeping the Penelope add-on and your address books. You can change the local directory settings (where you mail and message filters are stored) back to the old value after adding the deleted accounts.

If you want to use something entirely different I suggest you check out the free version of "em client", nylas mail or claws mail.
DonJudd

Post by DonJudd »

Thank you for your detailed response, but I have some confusion. I understood that Eudora 8 Beta 9 OSE was Open Source and gaining support so I'm surprised to see that it has never caught on. As for the settings, when I originally fought my way through Eudora 8 to set it up, I carefully recorded ALL of the Account Settings plus the Optional Settings. Until this latest Windows 10 update, it was 'rock solid' with no problems. I have checked the recorded settings against both mine and my wife's HP Notebook (Windows 10) and they are identical. So there is something hidden that I need to find. (I never thought of a Registry setting!!) Just so you understand, the incoming message button works with one click on the HP (as it used to do on mine). My wife's still does, but I have to click on the arrow to the right of the button and select my e-mail address and only then do my messages download from the ISP. The arrow has the same listings on my wife's version. I have right-clicked on the button and examined the drop down menus but nothing is obvious that I can do. As far as I know, this is the ONLY feature that isn't working.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"I understood that Eudora 8 Beta 9 OSE was Open Source and gaining support so I'm surprised to see that it has never caught on"

My impression was there was initial enthusiasm from Eudora fans until people realized that the penelope add-on didn't do what they expected, and then it quickly died. While Eudora OSE was open source once Qualcomm developed a releaseable version they didn't support it. They wanted Mozilla to support it as they were getting out of the email client business. However Mozilla had no interest in supporting it as any interesting features such as settings to expunge deleted messages in IMAP accounts had been ported to Thunderbird, and supporting a second user interface would be a drain on their limited resources. Nobody else stepped up.

Thunderbird mainly uses windows registry settings for glue to integrate with MS Windows specific stuff like MAPI, becoming the default email client or spawning the systems browser. It doesn't use it for its own settings.

You could try installing https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunde ... hunderbir/ and see if its behavior is different.
DonJudd

Post by DonJudd »

Well, the problem is fixed. Turns out that it was really quite simple but the Mozilla Support provided the solution. Open Eudora and go to Tools > Account Settings > Server Settings, click the Advanced button and put a check in the box that says ' Include this server when getting new mail'. That's it. I'm guessing that it is checked by default during a new installation of Eudora because I have never had to check it before. Conclusion: the latest Windows 10 update unchecked it. As soon as I checked the box, I close the window and clicked on the icon and immediately 4 messages downloaded.
The matter is now closed without a lot of hassles with the Registry et al.