Can not change text format

User Help for Mozilla Thunderbird
ratdogracer

Can not change text format

Post by ratdogracer »

I have been having trouble for years trying to insert normal formatted text after pasting in some formatted text from somewhere else. It is impossible to go back to the emails normal format or to clear the new format or change the format in any way. The only way I have been able to do this is to remove the pasted in text. Insert the text that will go after this pasted text and then past the formed text in between the already typed in text. Is there any way to actually go back to my original format or to remove the format from my newly typed in lines. This gets real annoying when I am pasting in a lot of formatted text snips.

If you know a better way to do this, please post here, thanks.
LIMPET235

Re: Can not change text format

Post by LIMPET235 »

Not a Feature....so moving this to Thunderbird Support...
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

When I want to paste in text from another source I do this, and it can sometimes help with the problem:

First I place the cursor where I want the text to go.
Next I insert a couple of blank lines.
Then I move the cursor back up to where I want the text to go before I paste it in.

If worse comes to worst, redo the whole thing but paste as unformatted text (Edit | Paste without formatting, or Ctrl+Shift+V).
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 115.0.02 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 115.2.0/115.0.1 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
morat

Post by morat »

Try using the following command in the compose window.

* Format > Discontinue Text Styles (Ctrl+Shift+Y)
sjshaffer

Post by sjshaffer »

"Discontinue Text Styles" does not have any affect.
Last edited by sjshaffer on February 19th, 2019, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

You can file a bug report at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org but I suggest you clarify some things beforehand. If you do file a bug report I suggest you attach a copy of a message that demonstrates the problem (there is a link in the bug report to let you attach a test case to the bug report).

What type of formatting doesn't discontinue text styles clear?

I've found it doesn't reset fonts/font sizes, but I suspect that doesn't count as a text style. The format bar section in http://write.flossmanuals.net/thunderbi ... -messages/ seems to state examples of text styles are
"Body Text, Paragraph,Header sizes 1-6, Address, and Unformatted" . That's why I don't find that command very useful when copying and pasting text from web pages into a message I'm writing. What I'd really like is a command to convert the selected text into totally generic unformatted text with no font, font style, font color, alignment etc. specified.
morat

Post by morat »

The discontinue text styles command works here.

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

I can change the "fox" to "cat" without the bold italic underline size color formatting.