Junk Mail External Classifiers

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
ichthyosaurus

Junk Mail External Classifiers

Post by ichthyosaurus »

Hi,

I was wondering if there is differences between the different junk mail filters in the individual accounts junk settings - SpamAssassin, Bogofilter, DSPAM, etc. Which one should I select, if any? Could anyone point me towards any info on the topic?

Thank you!
DanRaisch

Re: Junk Mail External Classifiers

Post by DanRaisch »

See this for info on SpamAssassin -- https://support.tigertech.net/thunderbird-assassin
ichthyosaurus

Post by ichthyosaurus »

This doesn't exactly answer my question...
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

No, it doesn't but it does provide information on making use of one of those applications with Thunderbird.
makaiguy

Post by makaiguy »

ichthyosaurus wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if there is differences between the different junk mail filters in the individual accounts junk settings - SpamAssassin, Bogofilter, DSPAM, etc. Which one should I select, if any? Could anyone point me towards any info on the topic?

Thank you!
It's hard to determine your knowledge level from the question, so forgive me if this is too basic ...

Unless you're planning on installing one of these as an application on your local computer, then you should select whichever junk filter your mail server has installed. They don't typically list this for you anywhere, but you may be able to tell by examining the spam analysis header(s) the filter adds to your messages. With a message selected view full headers via View | Headers (or Ctrl+U). The header names will vary with the filter used, but they will begin with X.
Doug Wilson
Win10 64bit: FF 124.0.2 64bit, TB 102.12.0 32-bit ║ Android 13/10: FF 124.2.0/115.9.0 ║ No TB for Android available, dammit!
What a fool believes he sees, no wise man has the power to reason away - Doobie Brothers
ichthyosaurus

Post by ichthyosaurus »

makaiguy wrote:
ichthyosaurus wrote:Hi,

Thank you!
It's hard to determine your knowledge level from the question, so forgive me if this is too basic ...

Unless you're planning on installing one of these as an application on your local computer, then you should select whichever junk filter your mail server has installed. They don't typically list this for you anywhere, but you may be able to tell by examining the spam analysis header(s) the filter adds to your messages. With a message selected view full headers via View | Headers (or Ctrl+U). The header names will vary with the filter used, but they will begin with X.
Sorry, I thought that when I post a topic I'm automatically subscribed to it, but apparently not, so I just saw your answer. Thank for which.
Knowledge level is not too high in this regard. I was basically looking for a simple advice on which spam filter to select, if any.
This is what my header has:
X-SG-EID: 5UilEWSoNAod49Y7f+aEZ+pnv3gppNYuwPIvqHClTvpkFqalPIFrEqFAu3wf0Dgd0+7MtX0jqrxVDI
la8TnrSaOigtik+2H5XqXGPZ3OqxRSq9AwsuET3cWeN4ZX6pekFAo4oQXOZBWwTl4Cx1pSBFesxPOZ
reyfps/Zl/UgaNLquMvvqRNCdcaKZXcZxYG0CBGiZf570HfLODoWIDlOOsGTANVSNeNuAZQoj3+S6+
LR7bh2Me7ostPZYqWS1mGb
X-Custom-SpamThreshold: 8
X-SpamScore: 6
X-MailHub-Apparently-To: redacted my email address