Filter messages by year only

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
krewel

Filter messages by year only

Post by krewel »

Example: Each month, an invoice email comes from "invoicing@abc-insurance.com" and a second email comes for confirmation of payment for that month's invoice "payment_confirmation@abc-insurance.com". I want to filter those messages into a folder of the appropriate year. So, all invoices and payment confirmations would be directed to an "INSURANCE" folder with yearly subfolders such as 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, etc. (See folder structure below.)

I've tried typing just the year into the date box, I've created a heading "Received" and typed the year into that box, I've used the operator * before the year (I see from other posts here that TB doesn't support the inclusive operator *. How....archaic??) Nothing I've tried works. The program either changes the 4 digit year into an obscure date in its default date format of 1/11/1111 (which does nothing) or just ignores the filter completely.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to filter messages by A SPECIFIC YEAR ONLY?

Folder Structure:

POP Account "My Account"
INBOX
INSURANCE (subfolder of Inbox)
2018 (subfolder of Insurance)
2019 (subfolder of Insurance)
2020 (subfolder of Insurance)
2021 (subfolder of Insurance)
Last edited by krewel on January 20th, 2021, 5:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DanRaisch

Re: Filter messages by year only

Post by DanRaisch »

Have you tried filtering to "Match all of the following" and then set two criteria -- "Date is before" the end of this year AND "Date is After" January 1 of the year.
krewel

Post by krewel »

No, I have not tried that but I will right now and post back. Thank you, thank you!
krewel

Post by krewel »

Yes, that worked! I did just as you said, to direct the 2020 emails into the 2020 subfolder, I used 12/31/2019 in "date is after", and 1/1/2021 in "date is before". It worked perfectly. Thank you so much! I just couldn't "get it"; it happens.....more than I'd like to admit.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.