Request a new feature in Thunderbird - Message Redirect

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

cbpetrovic,

open the newfilters.xpi file ( its just a zip file ) and extract the file called filters.txt and place that file somewhere on your harddrive.. Then point the extension to that file using the extension's options dialog ..
arudy

Post by arudy »

Hi,

Well, I have to offer many thanks to ausdilecce for the extension. I am not particularly interested in the redirect functionality, but the ability to use "play sound" in a filter is something I've been looking for for months, since in my evironment I need to be able to have TB play a different sound depending on which account got new email.

I configured the filter accordingly and it works like a charm! I still think this should be a part of standard TB functionality (as it is in many other email clients), but that's a diffrent story. I have been using the filter for the past couple of weeks and have not seen a single problem. This is TB 1.0 under WinXP+SP2.

Again, many thanks.

Andrzej
Ick34

Post by Ick34 »

Hi ausdilecce,
Thanks for this tool !
It works for me even if the little AutoForward text after the "%%" such as "Re-routed to you..." does not appear in the forwarded message.
I'm using ThunderBird 0.9
FRED
sosborne

Could you explain in more simple terms ?

Post by sosborne »

I have managed to (i) install the .xpi file so that I can see it when I open up Extension and it says that you can now add a couple of filters to TB. I have also browsed and located the file filter.txt and the file msgFilterRules.dat but haven't got a clue if I need to be copying text from one to the other. Could you explain in slightly greater detail how I would add the Autoreply filter. Many Thanks
Dan3

Windows only?

Post by Dan3 »

Does this only work in Windows? I tried to use it on Mac OS X, but nothing happens.
dud44

And in french

Post by dud44 »

Hi ,

I'm french, and use this extension with thunderbird 1.0. I've no problem to install it and configure it with the file "filters.txt", but no result ... :cry:
do you think i must include terms in french in my filters.txt file ?
Has anyone try it with TB in french language ?

Thanks for answer.
evseev

NewFilters fails on Thunderbird 1.0.2 with IMAP

Post by evseev »

Well, I have russian Thunderbird 1.0.2 (20050317) with NewFilters 0.1.1 under Windows 2000. When new message arrives my IMAP Inbox, NewFilter throws error on line 526 that's at the bottom of postFilterMsg routine and contains SearchSession.search(msgWindow) call. Message is not actually forwarded. See screenshot of debug output here: http://ilya-evseev.narod.ru/misc/tb_nferror.png
AZJerry

Post by AZJerry »

I've got a couple of questions about the filters.txt file:
- can I have blank lines or comment lines?
- Is there a list of the valid actions and conditions?
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

AZjerry,

no, you should NOT have blank lines in the filters file
yes, there is a list of valid actons - it is

Copy To Folder ( actionValue should be a valid folder path, in the form of "mailbox://<account>/<path>" - where <account> is somthing like nobody@Local%20Folders and <path> is something like Inbox/subfolder1/subfubfolder2

Play Sound (action value should be a path to the sound file.. the path MUST be in a format that your OS understands.. In windows, that path would look like "file:///C:/Batfiles/notify.wav" It WILL be different on Linux and Mac )

AutoReply ( action value should be the reply text that will be put in the message.. HTML is accepatable )

AutoForward ( action value should constitute two parts separated by %% first part is the address the message will get forwarded to, second part is the text that message will have above the forwarded bit

autoforward REQUIRES the 'forward inline' to be set in TBs options

Good luck
wiretap

Post by wiretap »

Thanks for the great extension. Everything works fine except something that I presume is either a Thunderbird issue or a setting that I am missing somewhere.

First of all, this relates to the AutoForward functionality, which is the only feature of this extension that I need. Everything works fine when only one message is received at a time. The send window opens and closes shortly thereafter. A copy of the autoforwarded message is in the sent folder. Everything works flawlessly.

However if I receive x messages, where x > 1, then only one send window closes and I am left with x-1 send windows left that have to be manually closed.

Thundebird v1.0
Extension v0.1.1
Windows XP SP2 environment

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I checked out the JS code to see if I could decipher it but it is beyond my pathetic skills in this matter. What I was thinking was that perhaps I could process each message only after the previous message was complete. I know that this would not be a suitable solution for widescale distribution (Especially for large email users) but in my specific application this slower processing would not have been a disadvantage.

Thanks in advance.
What do you use if you get a piece of floss stuck in your teeth?
kennethmgreen

Post by kennethmgreen »

I am looking forward to testing this extension out. Thanks ausdilecce, for you hard work and patience in explaining. I have one question before I start, though: since there is no GUI for this extension, is there a simply way to turn it on/off (or disable it)?

Basically, I am looking for AutoForward functionality for only when I am away from my desk. I would like to have the filter set up to AutoForward only when needed, and be easily disabled. Is this possible?
riowong

Post by riowong »

Don't know which is the filter file? Is it difficult to edit it?
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

The filter file is called filters.txt, which is located in the NewFilters.xpi ( and xpi is just a zip file )

extract the file and the use the extension's options dialog to point to it..

The filters.txt file is just a plain text file, mimicing the way the real TB filters file looks..

you can edit to your heats content..
riowong

Post by riowong »

Hi ausdilecce, I've done installing the xpi & extract the filters.txt and have done pointing to this filters.txt from the extension, and reload TB, but I don't see any new things come out from the Message Filter window. I also don't see anything new in the Filter Rules window. How could it work?
notriddles

Post by notriddles »

I have a filters.txt containing:

name=ForwardA
condition="OR (sender,contains,something)"
type=1
action=AutoForward
enabled=yes
actionValue="forwardto@someaddress.com%%Re-routed to you by Fred Flintstone"

I have forwarding set to inline. I have four email addressed in Thunderbird but only one is set to default. I also have the default one in the prefs as the 'When in doubt, use this Identity'.

I'm getting this popup message after I receive a mail matching the filter:
Send Message Error
Sending of message failed.
No sender was specified. Please fill in your email address in the Mail & Newsgroups account settings.

The message doesn't get forwarded.