sender in alert from system tray

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
RAF

sender in alert from system tray

Post by RAF »

Would it be possible to include the sender's name in the alert from the system tray upon arrival of a new mail?

This way I won't have to do anything in case of junk (spam), and I have found that e-mail from some people I want to read immediately while from some other people I want to read it in 2043.

Maybe someday as an extension or built-in?
mail2tom

Re: sender in alert from system tray

Post by mail2tom »

In addition: If there's no "non-junk"-mail among the received messages, the alert in the tray is not necessary at all.
RAF

Post by RAF »

mail2tom wrote:In addition: If there's no "non-junk"-mail among the received messages, the alert in the tray is not necessary at all.

I understand what you mean, but that's assuming Tb 'guesses' right every time.
Yesterday I received an e-mail from a forum member that got designated as junk.
mail2tom

Post by mail2tom »

IMHO it's better to check the junk mail folder once an hour or even once a day than to be bothered by an alert for each and every junk mail.
Deucalion

Post by Deucalion »

RAF wrote:Would it be possible to include the sender's name in the alert from the system tray upon arrival of a new mail?

What if , upon a mail check, 12 messages come in? Which or do all 12 appear in the alert?
You can't get here from there
RAF

Post by RAF »

Deucalion wrote:What if , upon a mail check, 12 messages come in? Which or do all 12 appear in the alert?

I see your point. Tb downloads all mail from all accounts at startup in my configuration. Then it checks for mail every one minute. I'm on ADSL. So the chance of receiving 15 emails in one go are rather slim.
But if you manually check your account, my suggestion in the first post could be a problem.

Perhaps as an extension then?