Mail Filter - option to launch separate program

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
Nick66

Mail Filter - option to launch separate program

Post by Nick66 »

Any chance of an option in the message filter for running an external program (or batch file) against a temporary copy of an email? As an example, I have a simple program which processes a standard format email sent from a particular source and enters the extracted data into a database. At the moment I have to copy and paste each mail by hand. It would be great to be able to automate it.

There are several other mail clients which have this option although I must admit I haven't attempted to use them since there was always something else that these programs didn't do that I needed.

I can see that there may be problems, for example, with leaving temp files lying around if the external program is called asynchronously (which it would probably have to be in case the called program remained open after it completed its task). I think it would be acceptable to make it the called program's responsibility to clean up. If it is not a bespoke program then a batch file could be used to launch it and the batch file handle the clean up. If more than one message arrived, the called program might have to deal with multiple instances or be prepared for a local file to be temporarily locked, but again that would be the problem of the external program.