Decent status window

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
Gensuke

Decent status window

Post by Gensuke »

I would like to have a status window similar to the one you get when sending an email, but with panels showing what is going on for single accounts. It would be nice to have a panel that shows the accounts and the commands sent to the serever. This both for sending and receiving emails.

Example:

Delivering mail for account01
Receiving mail for account02
Error on account03
V
Account: account01 Command: DATA
Account: account01 Command: LIST
Account: account01 error 550 cannot deliver mail

In this way it would be possible to skip entirely the error popups: an error would infact open the panel hilighting the problem.

Dimensions could be the only problem (assuming that only a sick person would have more than 10 accounts). :)

At the moment the messages in the status bar are too confusing (IMHO).

Regards.
none13

Re: Decent status window

Post by none13 »

Gensuke wrote:I would like to have a status window similar to the one you get when sending an email, but with panels showing what is going on for single accounts. It would be nice to have a panel that shows the accounts and the commands sent to the serever. This both for sending and receiving emails.

Example:

Delivering mail for account01
Receiving mail for account02
Error on account03
V
Account: account01 Command: DATA
Account: account01 Command: LIST
Account: account01 error 550 cannot deliver mail

In this way it would be possible to skip entirely the error popups: an error would infact open the panel hilighting the problem.

Dimensions could be the only problem (assuming that only a sick person would have more than 10 accounts). :)

At the moment the messages in the status bar are too confusing (IMHO).

Regards.

Yeah... that's one of the features I think Outlook Express has gotten right. It's relatively easy to see what's going on, and should something go wrong in talking to the server, it's easy to see the context of the error...
Joker II

Post by Joker II »

Bump!

That is still my favourite most wanted feature! There were many posts about that and even one guy tried to programme an extension, but he failed ... please can anyone tell me, why it is still only a wanted feature and not a built-in feature?!?
TB and FF ROCK!
Joker II

Post by Joker II »

Bump! Is there really noone out there needing this?
TB and FF ROCK!
cakeboy

Post by cakeboy »

Bump! Yes, I need this one, too. For those of us still on dial-up connections, this would be very helpful. It should also include details of how many messages are on the server, and what it's currently doing. A running total of xx/yy Kb downloaded would be very helpful, too.
Sparx

Post by Sparx »

I agree as well. AusDilecce had tried very hard to make just such an extension but it was too buggy and he had to abandon it.
Regards,

Sparx

Post by cakeboy »

Just gonna bump this one again...
nuskcalb

Post by nuskcalb »

This is more or less <a href="https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=61139">Bug 61139 - RFE: progress bar when downloading mail</a>

I think we shoud vote the bug if we want the feature ;)
<a href="http://www.aithne.net/index.asp?i=0">Aithne.net - Selection of Critic and Constructive Articles about Social Reality</a>
Joker II

Post by Joker II »

I disagree - a status window is far more than that ...

The progress bar does by far not have the informations we want to achieve with that thread.

BUMP!
TB and FF ROCK!
Costarica

Post by Costarica »

I agree, this feature could be great. (bumpin' around)
Joker II

Post by Joker II »

And once again - lets BUMP!
Last edited by Joker II on May 10th, 2005, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
TB and FF ROCK!
Lost User 115585

Post by Lost User 115585 »

I don't know about all this bumping, but I would like to see a status window. I'd like to know which accounts were logged into, whether there were any items (how many) or none on server.

I know some information is displayed in the status bar bottom left, but it's too quick and I might well be doing something else. Perhaps a log could be kept (since the last reboot for example).
Joker II

Post by Joker II »

*Bump*
TB and FF ROCK!
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Just FYI.

THe extension I created would do all that you guys described..

The part that was buggy was the progress bar of outgoing and incoming messages.. I am going to attempt this extension again very soon..

For now I might release the extension without the progress bars ( so that at least one could get a 'history' of statusbar messages ).

More ike the *second* picture on the first page of http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=168491, NOT the third picture..

EDIT: the extension without the progress bars is available at www.supportware.net/mozilla/StatusMsgHistory.xpi
Lost User 115585

Post by Lost User 115585 »

What should I do with the above-mentioned extension (having downloaded it)?