Multiple identities

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
mh632

Multiple identities

Post by mh632 »

Hi!
1st suggestion: This forum needs a search facility to search only in the "Thunderbird Features", for instance. I am not able to read through 400+ topics to see if my wish was already mentioned.

== multiple identities per server ==
I would like to be able to have multiple identities per server like. mail@..., webmaster@... Then of course, it would be nice to have some intelligence build in, what identity to use (e.g. when replying look in the to field).

== color-coded identities ==
I furthermore would very much like to have a distinct background for every identity in order to reduce the amount of mails sent under the wrong one. The background-colour should appear in the compose window and change if I change the identity. Maybe it would also be a good idea to set the background for all mails according to their identity in order get used to the coding and easily realising, that (for instance) light-green background is wrong for business mails.

== reply to FROM ==
I would also like to be able to ignore the REPLY-TO and answer to the address in the FROM field. I often use this when answering to mailing lists.

Martin
Ponder_Stibbons

re:Multiple identities

Post by Ponder_Stibbons »

Hi!
1st suggestion: This forum needs a search facility to search only in the "Thunderbird Features", for instance. I am not able to read through 400+ topics to see if my wish was already mentioned.

Hi
You can choose the Forum you want to search by using the search-Link in the menue.
Greetings Ponder
mh632

Re: re:Multiple identities

Post by mh632 »

Ponder_Stibbons wrote:
Hi!

Hi
You can choose the Forum you want to search by using the search-Link in the menue.
Greetings Ponder

Oh, great. I only found the "Search Mozillazine". Unusual that a page has two search functions, more unusual that they are displayed apart from each other.
I'll do everything better the next time.
rakhesh

Re: Multiple identities

Post by rakhesh »

mh632 wrote:Hi!
== multiple identities per server ==
I would like to be able to have multiple identities per server like. mail@..., webmaster@... Then of course, it would be nice to have some intelligence build in, what identity to use (e.g. when replying look in the to field).

I second this request. It is especially useful for people like me who run their own domain. Along with the intelligence to choose the identity based on the "To" field (of the mail I am replying to), I also suggest:
  1. The ability to associate a Sent Mail folder and Signature, along with the identity (thus allowing me to have different Sent Mail folders/ signatures depending on the identity).
  2. The ability to associate identities with "To" addresses in my addressbook (thus allowing that, say, whenever I compose a mail to my boss's "To" address, a corresponding personality is automatically chosen).

mh632 wrote:== color-coded identities ==
I furthermore would very much like to have a distinct background for every identity in order to reduce the amount of mails sent under the wrong one. The background-colour should appear in the compose window and change if I change the identity. Maybe it would also be a good idea to set the background for all mails according to their identity in order get used to the coding and easily realising, that (for instance) light-green background is wrong for business mails.

== reply to FROM ==
I would also like to be able to ignore the REPLY-TO and answer to the address in the FROM field. I often use this when answering to mailing lists.

Way to go! :)

-- Rakhesh
Radiance

Post by Radiance »

Rakhesh,

I 'third' that request *lol*
I too run my own domain, and multiple identities ("from"+"reply to") would make me switch to mozilla, no (further) questions asked :)

i hope they listen to our pleas...
prophecy

Post by prophecy »

Radiance wrote:Rakhesh,

I 'third' that request *lol*
I too run my own domain, and multiple identities ("from"+"reply to") would make me switch to mozilla, no (further) questions asked :)

i hope they listen to our pleas...

I 4th it! This would rock! Right now i have to make a whole new account for each from address I want to send from.
jgsouthard

Post by jgsouthard »

This is the killer feature in Thunderbird that I am waiting for. My preference would be personalities/identities that are distinct from accounts, as suggested. At a minimum, I'd like the ability to creat a dummy POP3 account that can be hidden in the folder list. When you have as many email aliases as I do, Thunderbird is unusable due to the long list of accounts in the left column.
prophecy

Post by prophecy »

Do the developers read these forums?
leff-jason42

Re: re:Multiple identities

Post by leff-jason42 »

mh632 wrote:Oh, great. I only found the "Search Mozillazine". Unusual that a page has two search functions, more unusual that they are displayed apart from each other.
I'll do everything better the next time.

The forums run on phpbb, a nice open source forum system. However, it would be hard to integrate the search function into the rest of the site.

prophecy wrote:Do the developers read these forums?

Some of them do. I don't know how much. Look for mscott. He's the big thunderbird developer.
Mozilla Firefox 2.0.0.4
Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.4
i

Post by i »

I 5th (?) it! :D
Nitpick: Icons for folders and mail lists: http://tberg.net/_/G.php3?page=MOZILLA/1 Image
jgsouthard

Post by jgsouthard »

You're 6th -- I was 5th! :)

Actually, I think there's a lot more of us that want this feature than are here to say so. I think most of the folks that wanted identities gave up on the Mozilla stream a long time ago, because it handled this so poorly. Even Outlook Express works better, since you can at least create a dummy account that isn't visible.
urichter

Post by urichter »

Any of you ever seen this:
http://www.mozilla.org/mailnews/arch/ac ... nager.html

Looks like some of the multiple identities stuff is at least planned, and as far as I know, also implemented in back end. There's no UI by now, and I dont know if it already works, but it might be worth a try.
teamonkey

This would be very useful

Post by teamonkey »

Yeah. I really miss this, having come from using KMail. KMail also allowed me to set up which accounts I would default to, depending on which folder I was in. So for example, if I was in a folder into which I filter my LUG mailing list messages, my sending address would default to lug@teamonkey... instead of teamonkey@...

I'm liking Firebird a lot though. :)
NoOne

Identities needed

Post by NoOne »

Yes, this is sorely lacking in Identity handling. I'm still stuck with Outlook Express and dying to get away. I had been using Vivian Mail, but it had horrid problems when the volume got up there.
Anyway, what I am referring to is the ability to create an account that may have identical properties as another acount (because it's an alias), but have a different address/info. Since you can't modify the outbound "sent from" (limited to listed accounts) and you can't create another account with the same server/username... I'm unable to utilize what I see as a viable solution to my problem.

I like the unsecure image blocking (read as spam tracking), but would like to see an option for handling much like Vivian with Plain Text display (personally, I hate HTML email).

Just my thoughts, your opinion may vary...

NoOne
raybirks

Post by raybirks »

I think this is the bug requesting this enhancement:

http://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=215126

Now if only we could vote on ThunderBird bugs, we'd be all set. I have added my address to this bug's CC: list as my way of voting in favor.