DanRaisch

Re: new to thunderbird, how to log out from thunderbird

Post by DanRaisch »

You're welcome.
jackson6612

Post by jackson6612 »

Hi Dan

The only ways to save an e-mail draft are: File (on your computer), a self-chosen folder such as Drafts (folder could reside either on the computer or GMail server), Template (forget this one).

The only useful and secure option is to choose a folder on the server, in my case it's default Drafts folder. I have to write different kinds of e-mails: to friends, articles, documents etc. Now the problem is everything is stored in the same folder. Is there any way to get an option which gives me the freedom to choose from the folders where I want to say the draft when I click on Save button? Let me explain it further. Suppose I'm writing a college assignment (I know you'd thinking that why you don't simply store/save it on your computer, well, I use GMail as a depository...), and have a folder 'College Assignments' on the server, when I click on the Save button there would be only one folder to save it in. Do you get what I'm trying to say? Please help me with this, let me know of any suggestions you have. Thanks, in advance.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

1. That "Save" button is not only about Draft messages. Saving to "Template" is for an entirely different purpose, that is, for when you are composing a message that expect to be able to use multiple times. Say your business receives requests for information on product line, or shipping costs, etc. You could have multiple templates that respond to those various queries so that you would not have to compose a message with the same information over and over again.
2. There's no functionality for what you describe. If you can identify elements in the subject, addressee, or even in the message body that can identify those various types of drafts, you could set up message filters to move them from Drafts to other folders of your choice. You would have to run the filters manually but it might be helpful -- http://kb.mozillazine.org/Filters_%28Thunderbird%29
3. How you use Thunderbird can be quite personal. If you don't mind my asking, why would you store a variety of draft messages rather than complete one draft and sending the message before composing an entirely different message?
jackson6612

Post by jackson6612 »

Thanks, Dan.

I see you have a lovely long-haired dog. I had one too, died years ago, after that I have never let any other step inside - you know it would be disloyal to the memory of the departed!

I have more than twenty drafts. Those draft are not to be sent to anyone. Those are just documents. I store them on the server because it's easy to search them, and safer. Whenever I like some web-page, I e-mail it to myself using emailtheweb.com. I have tons of web-pages there. Let's say I need to search something on Judaism history. I know that I have previously read some good articles on Jewish history and perhaps wrote some document too. I will search by these terms: jew, israel, hebrew etc. All the related stuff would pop up. When I store a document or web-page I write several key words in subject line so that things can be searched easily. Google is good but it keeps on changing and mostly you cannot relocate some good page you read once. The same is the case with Wikipedia which keeps on changing on daily basis, therefore it's better you keep the version you have already read so that you can search for a certain passage easily and understand it at first sight rather than starting all over again. I'm using GMail primarily as a storage. I like Yahoo better but as you pointed out earlier it lacks IMAP functionality which is very useful and important.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know. And if you ever find something inappropriate in my writing, then please remember English is not my first language (as I believe you have already noticed), neither is second. So my writing doesn't always translate what I really want to say.

Best wishes
Jack