Feature / Addon Request: New message count next to...

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
MoreBloodWine

Feature / Addon Request: New message count next to...

Post by MoreBloodWine »

I have two to three feature requests but I will start with what I hope should be an easy one.

On an open account tree you see the account name at the top and the folder structure below. Well, you know how if you have new messages it shows them like this (1) next to the folders name. Well, here's my feature request... I would like to take this and apply it in a way that shows the inbox new message count on a collapsed tree next to the account name as seen below (pic taken from my Windows Live Mail Hotmail account). For what it's worth, I still use WLM for hotmail because of the known TB issues... WLM and Hotmail just made describing this easier.

Ty for your time and interest.

Edit: Basically I wana take this...

and make it look like this where the number inside the parenthesis represents the number of new messages in said accounts inbox.

Last edited by MoreBloodWine on September 9th, 2011, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Line 1: Bugs / features that I support !
Line 2: A) 235956
Line 3: B) 686075
Lee_Dailey
Location: milky way galaxy, sol system, terra, north america, usa, tx, bedford

Re: Feature / Addon Request: New message count next to...

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy MoreBloodWine,

account-level has-unread-msgs & unread-msgs-count properties are things many of us would like. [*grin*] here's a pair of bugs that request it ...
- Account level folder (isServer-true) properties not being set, cannot show if closed folder has unread/new messages
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=377507
- add number of unread messages next to (collapsed) account name
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=235956

IMPORTANT!
if a bug fits your situation, you might want to vote for it ... and perhaps add yourself to the CC list. please, do NOT comment unless you have new info. bugspamming - "me too" comments and various rants [*grin*] - is a good way to get the bug ignored.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html

take care,
lee
MoreBloodWine

Post by MoreBloodWine »

So what, I just reply to both of those and say I avorite the ideas / confirm this "bug". To be honest, I don't see it as much of a bug, just a left out feature but this was one thing I really liked inside of WLM as I usualy kept all but two account trees collapsed.

Edit: I'm not sure / understand what the first bug is but this one def fits the issue...

Provided the bug is referring to just the unread messages in the users inbox.

Edit 2: I just realized https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=235956 was made in 2004, I doubt this will get any traction, this is why I hope someone makes an addon instead of hoping for a patch to the client.
Lee_Dailey wrote:howdy MoreBloodWine,

account-level has-unread-msgs & unread-msgs-count properties are things many of us would like. [*grin*] here's a pair of bugs that request it ...
- Account level folder (isServer-true) properties not being set, cannot show if closed folder has unread/new messages
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=377507
- add number of unread messages next to (collapsed) account name

IMPORTANT!
if a bug fits your situation, you might want to vote for it ... and perhaps add yourself to the CC list. please, do NOT comment unless you have new info. bugspamming - "me too" comments and various rants [*grin*] - is a good way to get the bug ignored.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html

take care,
lee
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy MoreBloodWine,

the point is to vote - and perhaps cc yourself - on the bug in hopes that someone will take it up. sometimes folks who make addons check the bugs there for ideas. more often programmers take up often requested items on their own. most often, of course, it gets ignored until someone with a personal need takes it up.

an RFE [Request For Enhancement] is a bug in bugzilla. _everything_ in bugzilla is a "bug". [*grin*]

as for the 1st bug ... it's a more generalized version of the 2nd. well, i read it that way.

an extension to do it ... i don't know anyone who is interested enuf to do what looks like a LOT of in-depth programming to achieve what you and i want here. [*sigh ...*] i am tempted to look for an extension author who does a lot of addons for tbird and ask him to take a look at it. haven't done it so far cuz i'm lazy.

take care,
lee
MoreBloodWine

Post by MoreBloodWine »

Well, if anything... if we could get some onations goin for certain things that interest people then the pot could go to the coder who decides to take it up for said amout. The only thing would be how and when said coder gets paid and if their work can be trusted. That said, I'll probably work on the post for my other "enhancement" here in a bit that sadly might not get taken up either since it's almost certain to be a lot harder than the first.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy MoreBloodWine,

yes, it can be difficult to find folks who are capable, interested _and_ who have the time. [*sigh ...*]

as an aside, when i re-read your bugzilla note, i saw there was no link to this thread. you might want to add such and mention that you have some screenshots showing what you are thinking of.

take care,
lee
MoreBloodWine

Post by MoreBloodWine »

yes, it can be difficult to find folks who are capable, interested _and_ who have the time. [*sigh ...*]

as an aside, when i re-read your bugzilla note, i saw there was no link to this thread. you might want to add such and mention that you have some screenshots showing what you are thinking of.

take care,
lee

Thx for that, i meant to put that ink in.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

MoreBloodWine wrote:

take care,
lee

Thx for that, i meant to put that ink in.

[*grin*]
ChrisI

Post by ChrisI »

MoreBloodWine wrote:...what should be an easy codin job for a good coder...

I'm not a coder, but it's best to stay away making statements about how long it would take to implement a feature, unless you can actually do it yourself. In which case, the obvious rebuttal is: why don't you write the code? :)
MoreBloodWine

Post by MoreBloodWine »

ChrisI wrote:
MoreBloodWine wrote:...what should be an easy codin job for a good coder...

I'm not a coder, but it's best to stay away making statements about how long it would take to implement a feature, unless you can actually do it yourself. In which case, the obvious rebuttal is: why don't you write the code? :)

Thats not making a statement to how long it owuld take but a comment that for a good coder it should be easy where as with someone just starting out they'd be scratching their head at every corner.
ChrisI

Post by ChrisI »

okay...
I'm not a coder, but it's best to stay away making statements about how easy it would be to implement a feature, unless you can actually do it yourself. In which case, the obvious rebuttal is: why don't you write the code? :)
MoreBloodWine

Post by MoreBloodWine »

ChrisI wrote:In which case, the obvious rebuttal is: why don't you write the code? :)
I never said I was a coder but in another post commented that my php / JS skills are extremely limited. As for staying away from making such comments, it is true that for an experienced coder it would be an easy job compared to someone like me or some other freshie. If people wana dig in to that and say like you did that if it's so easy then why not do it yourself thats all fine and dandy but what I said is true.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy MoreBloodWine,

saw your 2nd bugzilla [Bug 686075] note and went there. i don't really have any use for that feature, so i didn't vote for it. i did cc myself since it would be a useful thing for others and i am curious how it will be viewed by various folks.

i use that screen for this addon ...
Mail Summaries

still, i don't see any conflict. [*grin*] not as long as we can each choose the one we want.

take care,
lee
MoreBloodWine

Post by MoreBloodWine »

saw your 2nd bugzilla [Bug 686075] note and went there. i don't really have any use for that feature, so i didn't vote for it. i did cc myself since it would be a useful thing for others and i am curious how it will be viewed by various folks.

i use that screen for this addon ...
Mail Summaries

still, i don't see any conflict. [*grin*] not as long as we can each choose the one we want.

take care,
lee

Mail summaries looks nice but I kinda like my idea better, that and the () bit from my other post were the two main feature from WLM that I'd like to see implemented one way or another. As far as the "account settings" pane goes, really, how often is a person gonna want / need to change those and when they do it could be as easy as hitting a key to tab between said windows and the control panel pane. Kinda like what F8 does on folder view.
Lee_Dailey

Post by Lee_Dailey »

howdy MoreBloodWine,

i see your point and still prefer mine. [*grin*] variety is the spice of life ...

take care,
lee