Feature Request - Archive Thunderbird Mail Messages

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
Brian Conner

Post by Brian Conner »

Yes, it doesn't seem to like spaces in the folder name. Replaces them with %20.
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Yep... spaces seem to be a problem..

let me see what can be done..
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Ahh, I had to decode the folder uris..

That bug is fixed ( I am pretty sure anyway )..

Also, incorporated 'exclude folders' option in the extension's options box ... comma delimited, NO SPACES after each comma please..
...so to exclude jokes and funny folders, put

jokes,funny

in the exclude box.
put a * after the name to have wildcards ...
... so if you have funny1 and funny2 and funny3 folders
funny* in the exclude box would exclude all of them

Also, incorporated autocompact option in the extension's options box ( checkbox )

get ver 0.0.2 from www.supportware.net/mozilla/ArchiveTools.xpi ( be sure to refresh your browser first )
Brian Conner

Post by Brian Conner »

No matter what I do, version 0.0.1 installs. Could you double-check the upload, please? Maybe you could rename the xpi file to include the version number.
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

*(&(*^ expires.....

I will do that
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

get ver 0.0.2 from www.supportware.net/mozilla/ArchiveTools002.xpi

BE SURE TO uninstall version 0.0.1 and restart TB BEFORE installing this version
Brian Conner

Post by Brian Conner »

OK, that installed the 0.0.2 version. After a restart I ran it, and it still doesn't create any of the sub-folders under Local Folders > Personal Folders. As I mentioned in a post above here, I have a number of sub-folders under there.

It acts like it's moving a large number of messages from each of the sub-folders; I can see this information in the lower left status bar. But none of those messages actually get moved, because thee are no folders for them to move to.
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

That is a bug I am still attempting to figure out..

Restart TB an you will see that the folders were, in fact, created and the archived messages are in those folders

Can you confirm please
Brian Conner

Post by Brian Conner »

Actually, on closer examination, all the messages older than 90 days are completely gone. They are nowhere to be found.

I had done a backup with MBox extension before starting all this, but I just checked that backup a moment ago, and all of the folders are empty. So, all those Emails are gone forever, I think.

I think I should give up while I'm behind. I'm pretty discouraged at this moment.
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

The 'bug' explained in a bit more detail..

Occasionally ( this is why its hard to figure out ), the newly created folders will NOT show up in the folderpane..
These new folders *are created* ( confirmed by checking that the files exist on my hard drive while TB is running )..
The folderpane just isn't getting notified that these new folders exist.. When TB is restarted, it looks and finds all these new folders..

Its a pain in the butt bug...
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Brian,

PLEASE restart TB and look in your archive folder for these new folders that should have been created under 'Personal Folders'..
Brian Conner

Post by Brian Conner »

Yes, they are there after a restart. Phew! What a relief.

One more thing. It doewsn't seem to be creating the Sent folder directly under Local Folders. It's not there after the restart.

Thank you for bearing with me on this.
Old Ausdilecce

Post by Old Ausdilecce »

Brian Conner wrote:Yes, they are there after a restart. Phew! What a relief.

For me as well !

Brian Conner wrote:One more thing. It doewsn't seem to be creating the Sent folder directly under Local Folders. It's not there after the restart.

I dont know what you mean by this

Do you mean that it is not creating a sent folder under Archive ?
or do you mean that it 'deleted' your built in 'sent' folder ?
Or something else entirely ?
Brian Conner

Post by Brian Conner »

Sorry, I was extremely unclear.

The Sent folder that is directly under Local Folders did not get created under the Archive folder. The original Sent folder is still there now, so we don't have a crisis.

I thought I saw "XXX of YYY messages being moved to Sent" flashing in the lower left status bar as Archive was working.
Brian Conner

Post by Brian Conner »

Now I'm examining things more closely, and there are problems.

I had set the archive cut-off to 90 days, which would be about 3/21/05. In the current folders, the oldest messages are dated 3/30/05, with no messages older than that in any of the current folders. The earliest date in any of the Archive folders is in November of 2004. So, messages between those two dates are missing.

Also, there are six sub-folders that did not get created in the Archive, so all messages earlier than 3/30/05 in those folders are missing.

I'm kicking myself that I didn't CONFIRM that the MBox Export items actually contain data in the folders. It's not your fault that those messages are missing, it's my fault.

Than you for continuing to work on this.