block attachments from people not on your contacts list

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
Ghost Strider

block attachments from people not on your contacts list

Post by Ghost Strider »

I was wondering if we could get a feature that automatically blocks attachments if the person sending the attachment is not on your contacts lists, I am under persistent attack ( a couple mails a day) from a botnet trying to get me to open malware attachments and go to malware infested websites, and blocking the attachments would at least mean there fetted trojans stay off my computer, and not lay in wait if I ever forget I am under attack and do something massively stupid such as open them, as of now if I get a bot mail with a attachment I just delete it, I don't even leave it in my junkmail box for the filter.
DanRaisch

Re: block attachments from people not on your contacts list

Post by DanRaisch »

Thunderbird can not block messages at all. That's because it can't test messages, either for header data, content, or attachments, until the message has been received from the server. You might want to try something like Mailwasher Free.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Download_only ... P_messages . You could do something like set Thunderbird to fetch only headers if the sender was not in your address book. You could also test if the Content-Type: header "contained" "multipart" and also "contained" "Mixed" to test if it had an attachment.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

tanstaafl wrote:See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Download_only ... P_messages. You could do something like set Thunderbird to fetch only headers if the sender was not in your address book.
Note that downloading only headers is optional only for POP type accounts and we don't know which protocol you are using to access your mail. You can find out using menu path Tools->Account Settings->Server Settings->Server Type at the top right of the dialogue.
LIMPET235

Post by LIMPET235 »

&.....Just because I use it & have done for years with nothing being D/L'd to my PC,
you may like to try the Pro version of Mail Washer.
> http://www.firetrust.com/
A really great app. for keeping those spammers at bay.
[Ancient Amateur Astronomer.]
Win-10-H/64 bit/500G SSD/16 Gig Ram/450Watt PSU/350WattUPS/Firefox-115.0.2/T-bird-115.3.2./SnagIt-v10.0.1/MWP-7.12.125.

(Always choose the "Custom" Install.)