Bookmarks for Thunderbird? (and account order)

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
68xgEnMike

Bookmarks for Thunderbird? (and account order)

Post by 68xgEnMike »

1) Is there a way to move email accounts in Thunderbird? So that one could move order exactly the way he wants? Looking at the default setup of Thunderbird, since it was not set by alphabet, at least that way one could remedy order by simply renaming accounts. Since I have seven email accounts, I would like to push less relevant from the more frequent ones. Any solution?

2) As many of us keep email database since Nestcape days, or more then two decades to be exact, I always think, email/message bookmarks would be a great asset to Thunderbird. I know that most us associate bookmarks with browser only, but I would really like to see them in Thunderbird as well. Has anyone deviced such scheme for Thunderbird? Any existing, or perhaps, in making add-on that would bring email bookmarks in Thunderbird.

Thanks
smsmith

Re: Bookmarks for Thunderbird? (and account order)

Post by smsmith »

Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime.
I like poetry, long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.
Please do not PM me for personal support. Keep posts here in the Forums instead and we all learn.
68xgEnMike

Post by 68xgEnMike »

Smsmith much obliged :)

Simple, elegant, exactly what I needed.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I'm not aware of any bookmark support for Thunderbird. The closest would be an add-on such as TidyBird that "provides you with a list of buttons using which you can move email into folders quickly and easily. The list is generated and updated dynamically based on which folders have been used most recently."

Take a look at Mbox2XML. Its a free archive program that extracts messages from mbox files (what Thunderbird uses to store the contents of mail folders) and stores them in an XML format, which can be viewed as web pages in a browser. See if you can add a bookmark to a selected message when viewing that file using a browser. The main disadvantage is its a archive program, so you'd have to figure out a way to preserve existing bookmarks if you generated a new snapshot.

There are plenty of perl and python based scripts that parse and manipulate mbox files. In part because each language has existing libraries that support mbox and maildir files. You could write a script that created a HTML file that has links to each of your messages etc. https://docs.python.org/2/library/mailbox.html
68xgEnMike

Post by 68xgEnMike »

@Tanstaafl

Thank you for your link, also, forgive my late reply.