I'm moving from Outlook Express to Thunderbird but miss some

Discussion of features in Mozilla Thunderbird
CheckMarc

I'm moving from Outlook Express to Thunderbird but miss some

Post by CheckMarc »

features. I open and email and delete the one I'm reading after it there are several that I glance at to see if they're interesting if not I delete them. I come across one that I want to read at a later date but I can't just skip it and go to the next is there away to do this?

Also can I open more than one email in a tab at a time?

Thanks
DanRaisch

Re: I'm moving from Outlook Express to Thunderbird but miss

Post by DanRaisch »

Are you using the preview pane to view the messages?

Yes, select multiple messages in the message list and press Ctrl+letter O.
CheckMarc

Post by CheckMarc »

No in a tab.
CheckMarc

Post by CheckMarc »

I'm running Thunderbird release 38.5.0.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

"select multiple messages in the message list and press Ctrl+letter O" (what Dan suggested) will open the selected messages in separate tabs on my system, using Thunderbird 38.5.0. I normally read messages in the message preview pane, but tools -> options -> display -> advanced -> "open new messages in" is set to "a new tab", so when I select two messages and press Ctrl+O it opens two tabs.
DanRaisch

Post by DanRaisch »

To advance to the next unread message you can add the "Next" button to the toolbar. Do that by right clicking on a blank spot on the toolbar and then dragging and dropping the "Next" icon to the location of your choice on the toolbar.
CheckMarc

Post by CheckMarc »

I see how to add it in the preview pane but that's easy enough to do with out the button. I can't add it in the tabbed email where I need it.
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

I can, using Thunderbird 38.5.1 under Windows 10. If you add "Next " and "Previous" to the toolbar in the main window they should also appear in a tab. If you add them to the toolbar in a tab they should also appear in the main window. Don't add "Next unread" and "Previous unread" - that will add "Next " and "Previous" buttons to the toolbar but they won't work as the label describes.

Check that View -> layout -> mail toolbar (it has Get Messages, Write ...) is enabled. You add buttons to that toolbar, not the menu toolbar. Right click on the Mail toolbar, select customize from the context menu, drag and drop the buttons to the toolbar, and then press Done.
CheckMarc

Post by CheckMarc »

I found them and added them so I've got them working but their locations isn't the most convenient I'd prefer if they were in the same location as the Reply, Forward, Archive etc. buttons. They're up on the right side of File toolbar instead
tanstaafl

Post by tanstaafl »

To my surprise, I managed to add a button to the Menu toolbar (File, Edit, View..). That didn't used to be possible. Try again, changing the location of where you drop the button, so that its part of the Mail toolbar (Get Messages, Write, Reply, Forward ...). It might help to initially hover the mouse cursor over the left edge of the global search edit field and then move it left , keeping your eye on the solid black vertical bar (indicating where it will add the button) rather than the icon of the button.
CheckMarc

Post by CheckMarc »

I got them added to the the right of the Files menu buttons and it works OK but I still can't get them added to the Reply, Forward, Archive etc. buttons where they'd be the most convenient.